Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to remove icon from desktop

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

27-Feb-2010, 01:16 AM #1
Unable to remove icon from desktop
Hi there, I've just reinstalled my Windows XP SP3 on my laptop but after installing the integrated webcam a (Laptop Integrated Webcam) icon appeared on my desktop and I'm unable to delete it, I've tried pressing delete after selecting it but nothing, also when right clicking on it no "delete" option is shown. Does anyone know how I could remove this annoying icon? Please help my because I really hate having icons on my desktop, thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2010, 01:32 AM #2
Have you tried left clicking on it and just dragging it to the recycle bin ?

Experience: Understand Basic Commands
27-Feb-2010, 01:35 AM #3
It's rare for something that is undeletable to be on the desktop, unless it is meant to not be deleted. (The recycle bin is a fine example of this) If there isn't any delete options, and since this webcam is integrated, probably it isn't meant to be deleted. However, if you just don't want any icons on the desktop, you can just right click on the desktop ----> arange icons by ----> show all desktop icons and uncheck that box. This would take all icons off your desktop.

27-Feb-2010, 01:53 AM #4
Dragging it to the recycle bin doesn't work. Also the "show all desktop icons" isn't there. Can I delete it by adding a string in (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideD esktopIcons\NewStartPanel) in the register, like I did for hiding the recycle bin icon?

Experience: Understand Basic Commands
27-Feb-2010, 01:58 AM #5
You can't see the show desktop icons button?
Right click on desktop,
Arrange Icons by,
[Checkmark] Show desktop icons

Press on Show desktop icons to uncheck it, and all you'll see is your wall paper and nothing else.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2010, 02:20 AM #6
Since this icon proves so difficult to remove,have you considered there might have to be a reason for it to be there? and if you do find out how to remove it, it might cause problems of some sort ....its just a thought ....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!