Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer turns on, but screen is BLACK!

(!)

jaccqullynn jaccqullynn is offline jaccqullynn has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 110 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2010, 07:26 PM #1
Angry Computer turns on, but screen is BLACK!
Ok so, im trying to help my friend with her broken computer.
She got hit with the avsoft virus, It took me a while but I finally got malwarebytes on her system, and had to rename the .exe in order to get it to run in safemode and it seemed to have worked pretty well, i then wanted to boot it in normal mode and run a full scan to make sure we got everything.
Anyway, we were experimenting with it for whatever reason (i guess malware removal had us feeling brave) and we unhooked her monitor, and plugged her desktop computer via the monitor cord into my laptop. i know that you can plug a monitor into a laptop and use that instead of the laptop screen, so we wanted to see if it would work with the desktop instead of the monitor. You know, like use my laptop as the monitor and keyboard.
I went into the my laptops nvidia control panel and messed around with some of the settings
All of a sudden my laptop screen went black.
I just rebooted, and my laptop was fine but when we plugged her monitor back into her desktop and rebooted it would not reboot correctly.

The lights on the computer would turn on, you can hear it is running, the fans are running, it makes one beep, just like a normal startup. the screen displays a logo (not the windows logo) an everex logo for a few seconds, and then some text comes up (like normally) and looks like it proceeds to load but it flies by so quick you cant read it, and then nothing. A big black blank screen.

Some things I have already tried:
At first I thought i messed something up, so i tried plugging her desktop back into my laptop and messed with the nvidia settings again but to no avail.
I tried booting in all the safemode settings, it acts like its loading, and then nothing it just stops.
I tried hitting f10 to get into the recovery console, nothing just takes me to the black screen.
I tried opening the desktop, resitting the RAM, taking the CMOS battery out, and resetting the bios.
I went into the bios and set it to its safe factory defaults, and then tried the optimal defaults.
still nothing.

Did i somehow fry her graphics card or something? Or maybe is it possible that malware bytes deleted some sort of system file.
any suggestions?
Her system is running windows XP SP3. 1.46gb RAM,
PC3500G motherboard
Award BIOS
and Im pretty sure her video card is onboard the motherboard.
Im not sure about her processor, I cant exactly get in to check either.

Also i was no sure where to post this, so if im in the wrong thread, please direct me where i might get more help/answers.
Computer Specs

27-Feb-2010, 07:38 PM #2
Angry Computer turns on, but screen is BLACK!
I also posted this under hardware because I was not sure where to direct this problem/question
I do not know if its an xp issue that would require a reinstall of windows, or if its a hardware/peripheral issue.

Ok so, im trying to help my friend with her broken computer.
She got hit with the avsoft virus, It took me a while but I finally got malwarebytes on her system, and had to rename the .exe in order to get it to run in safemode and it seemed to have worked pretty well, i then wanted to boot it in normal mode and run a full scan to make sure we got everything.
Anyway, we were experimenting with it for whatever reason (i guess malware removal had us feeling brave) and we unhooked her monitor, and plugged her desktop computer via the monitor cord into my laptop. i know that you can plug a monitor into a laptop and use that instead of the laptop screen, so we wanted to see if it would work with the desktop instead of the monitor. You know, like use my laptop as the monitor and keyboard.
I went into the my laptops nvidia control panel and messed around with some of the settings
All of a sudden my laptop screen went black.
I just rebooted, and my laptop was fine but when we plugged her monitor back into her desktop and rebooted it would not reboot correctly.

The lights on the computer would turn on, you can hear it is running, the fans are running, it makes one beep, just like a normal startup. the screen displays a logo (not the windows logo) an everex logo for a few seconds, and then some text comes up (like normally) and looks like it proceeds to load but it flies by so quick you cant read it, and then nothing. A big black blank screen.

Some things I have already tried:
At first I thought i messed something up, so i tried plugging her desktop back into my laptop and messed with the nvidia settings again but to no avail.
I tried booting in all the safemode settings, it acts like its loading, and then nothing it just stops.
I tried hitting f10 to get into the recovery console, nothing just takes me to the black screen.
I tried opening the desktop, resitting the RAM, taking the CMOS battery out, and resetting the bios.
I went into the bios and set it to its safe factory defaults, and then tried the optimal defaults.
still nothing.

Did i somehow fry her graphics card or something? Or maybe is it possible that malware bytes deleted some sort of system file.
any suggestions?
Her system is running windows XP SP3. 1.46gb RAM,
PC3500G motherboard
Award BIOS
and Im pretty sure her video card is onboard the motherboard.
Im not sure about her processor, I cant exactly get in to check either.

Also i was no sure where to post this, so if im in the wrong thread, please direct me where i might get more help/answers.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,528 posts.

27-Feb-2010, 07:46 PM #3
It is possible that the Video Card is bad. The Video Out Port on all the laptops I know of is an output only and making an output from the laptop to the Desktop Graphics card may have damaged the Video card on either of the 2 computers. Now I may be wrong and if so maybe another person will correct me and help find a solution for you.
Computer Specs

27-Feb-2010, 07:52 PM #4
I have no idea how to even check if the video card is bad or not. The video card is an on board video card that came with the motherboard, so, im not sure as to the steps i would take. I have already considered purchasing a video card, and installing it to see if that fixes the problem but I do not know how to disable to on board video card or how to install a new one, or even what kind of video card to look for that would be compatable, etc.

At first I also thought it could be the video card, but I do not see how that would explain why I cannot boot in any of the safemode options, like after all the streaming command lines go through as if its loading up, but then just stops.... to me that indicates a system issue.

I also wonder why the recovery console when i hit f10 wont show up, it goes to the same black screen ..... so is it because it actually goes to that recovery console but i cannot see it due to the video card, or is it because of a system issue kind of like my assumptions about why I cannot get into safemode.

any more suggestions?
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,006 posts.

27-Feb-2010, 07:59 PM #5
if at least something happens on the screen, maybe resetting in Setup should work, don't know what keys. mine is F12.
If screen stays black, and black and blacj, and everything else sounds like it is working, I found it was always in need of a new graphics card. .
Computer Specs

27-Feb-2010, 08:02 PM #6
what do you mean resetting in setup?
When I hit f12 some options do show up, but i have no idea what they are or what i should set them to.
Computer Specs

27-Feb-2010, 08:06 PM #7
f8 takes me to a menu where you can pick safemode etc and f10 is supposed to be the recovery console but neither of those options work, and then f12 is the boot menu.
it says "select a boot first device"
so i dont think this is helping any...
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,006 posts.

27-Feb-2010, 08:20 PM #8
When my computer starts, it asks me to press F12 to go to setup,
It goes into a DOS program and I can reset my computer as original, I think it's the BIOS.
I know how to do things, but not the correct words.
If we bump up this questions, some guys are really experts and hopefully they can tell you more.
Computer Specs

27-Feb-2010, 08:22 PM #9
Ah, i see. If its the BIOS you are referring to, then that is the delete key for me, and i have already tried setting the bios to its default settings and it still didnt work.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,528 posts.

28-Feb-2010, 02:32 AM #10
Let me get something here. Are you saying that when you first turn the computer on you get video? Such as the POST Screen? Or are you saying there is no video at all?
Computer Specs

28-Feb-2010, 12:26 PM #11
yeah i get some video such as a post screen logo
Computer Specs

28-Feb-2010, 12:27 PM #12
bump
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,059 posts.

28-Feb-2010, 12:49 PM #13
merging your two post - please do not duplicate posts
Computer Specs

02-Mar-2010, 01:23 AM #14
ok i wasnt sure where to post it.

no one else has really relpied

any other suggestions?
Computer Specs
Member with 23 posts.

02-Mar-2010, 03:14 AM #15
hello Jaccqullynn,

You cannot use the video input of another computer to display info from the output of anther computer.
To eliminate if your monitor is still ok, try hooking it up to a known working computer.
The fact that you can still see some text on your monitor from the bios means that probably the monitor is ok.
The video board is the most likely damaged part and it will not go to anything higher in resolution than text.
if your video board is on the main board ( the video connector is sitting close to your mouse/keyboard and usb connectors) you can still fix it by installing a new video card in one of the expansion slots and disabling the video settings in the bios.
I just looked up the specs of your mainboard and yes the video is on the mainboard.
So first check you monitor and then take it from there.
Hope this gets you out of your misery at only a little expense.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!