Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer freezes when watching a video

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Apr-2010, 12:53 PM #1
Computer freezes when watching a video
Hello,

I've been experiencing this problem for awhile now. When I watch videos (for example, youtube), play pc games, or listen to music (itunes), my computer would randomly freeze up. The audio would sound like a broken record and I can't exit out so I have to shut down the computer. Also, I notice my internet connection is slower than usual. I do have virus/spyware protection (Trend Micro). I scan to see if there was a virus, but it shows nothing serious. My computer is about 5 years old and is a Dell Dimension 5150. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do. If you need any more information about my computer, let me know.

Megan
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

06-Apr-2010, 01:01 PM #2
hiya have you updated the display and audio drivers,if not go to there web site and down load the latest drivers
Trusted Advisor with 16,144 posts.

06-Apr-2010, 02:32 PM #3
Let us have some Pc specs - hard drive size, free space - installed Ram - installed Video card etc.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,976 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Apr-2010, 06:51 PM #4
Megan:

Not knowing the specs of your Dell Dimension 5150 and not knowing what programs are running in the background makes it difficult to determine why it's freezing and stuttering.

What's the "service tag number"? It'll be a combination of 7 letters and numbers on the sticker on the case.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - General(tab). What's the processor type and speed and the amount of RAM?

Right-click an empty space on the desktop, then click Properties - Settings(tab) - Advanced - Adapter(tab). What's listed in "Adapter Information"?

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete at the same time to open Windows Task Manager, then click Processes(tab). How many running processes are there?

------------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
audio, computer, dell, freeze, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!