Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't input password at login screen (not the usual problem)

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Apr-2010, 02:50 PM #1
Talking Can't input password at login screen (not the usual problem)
Hey there,

Password input issue. I use Windows XP Pro SP3, and a regular Microsoft Multimedia Wireless Keyboard.

Today I've had the misfortune of having the spyware/malware Security Tool infect my PC. I went on Safe Mode, cleaned everything up with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and AVG Anti-Virus, and the Security Tool malware disappeared. I then used RegistryBooster to fix any registry errors.

When I restarted and went on Normal Mode, I clicked on my account and the white space and the blinking "|" cursor showed up, but no matter what key I hit, the black "blobs" won't show up, as if I hadn't typed anything.

I noticed that if I clicked my F-Lock, the wireless keyboard receiver's F-Lock light goes on/off normally, and when I log on Safe Mode, I can type my password just fine. Probably means it has nothing to do with my keyboard.

I tried everything; rebooting didn't do anything, CTRL+ALT+DEL didn't take me to the traditional login screen, and everyone who has had this problem says they can't see the typing | cursor but I do, and I can't type my password unless I go on Safe Mode (which I'm in right now.)

That's it. I'm beat. Please help me out, guys.

P.S. Also, in the middle of my malware/virus scanning process, it gave me a message that said "There is no audio hardware plugged in" even though I haven't touched my speakers, and ever since then I couldn't get it to produce any sounds.

Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Apr-2010, 05:10 PM #2
Try a wired keyboard

The wireless keyboard driver may not be loading in normal mode due to malware playing in the registry.

Member with 1,312 posts.

08-Apr-2010, 03:50 PM #3
You can try a "repair install" if you have the Windows installation disk for your version of XP. That will correct many registry problems and corrupt/deleted system files resulting from a malware infection.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!