Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Parts of keyboard not working, letter A part of my password and I cannot get in

(!)

Member with 61 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 01:54 PM #1
Parts of keyboard not working, letter A part of my password and I cannot get in
Please help, I was having trouble with the middle row of the keyboard not working properly, and when I went to log back in, part of my password (letters on keybord) not working, so I cannot get in.
I have no clue what to do, I cannot get in the computer, I am currently on another computer, is there anything I can do besides starting from scratch, please can anyone help?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 01:57 PM #2
can you get into safe mode,make and model,desktop or lappy?
Member with 61 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 01:59 PM #3
How do I do that?
Member with 61 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 02:12 PM #4
Ok, I got there, it is a Sony FE Series Laptop, with XP
Member with 61 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 02:16 PM #5
I'm at the "Windows Advanced Options" with either Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Enable VGA Mode, Last known Good Configuration, Directory Restore Mode (Windows Domain controllers only) Debugging Mode, Disable Automatic restart on system failure.
So do I click Safe Mode?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 02:20 PM #6
yes,does you keyboard work now
Member with 61 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 02:25 PM #7
Yes, everything that was not working is now in safe mode, that is good, so how to fix for regular?
Thanks Huggie
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Apr-2010, 02:31 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djohnson2 View Post
Yes, everything that was not working is now in safe mode, that is good, so how to fix for regular?
Thanks Huggie

I'm trying to think of a way of opening the Onscreen Keyboard in Safe Mode and setting it as a StartUp option so it works in Normal as well. While I try to work this out - unless someone else can - give it a try - it may open in Normal automatically if you leave it in the tray when you shut down Safe Mode.

EDIT we need a way to add osk.exe to StartUp as a RunOnce. Nearly there - I'll get back to you.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 02:38 PM #9
go to control panel>system>hardware>device manager and go down the list to keyboards,is there a Yellow ! or a Red X at the front,if so and you are connected to the internet,highlight it ,then go to the action tab and update driver,if this dosn't work right-click the keyboard and uninstall,reboot your machine and let it reinstall automatically. g/luck Huggie54
Member with 61 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 02:43 PM #10
I checked everything in the Device Manager, nothing with a yellow! or a red x or question mark.
I can't get the computer online in safe mode.

13-Apr-2010, 02:44 PM #11
OK - in Safe Mode go Start>Run and type in regedit then hit Enter. Navigate to H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run. Select Expandable String Value from the Edit>New menu then double click in the value you just created. Write the string as follows:-

C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe and then click on OK. Close the Registry from the file menu and restart into Normal Mode.

The Onscreen keyboard should at least allow you access with your password and you can set about finding out what's wrong with the keyboard.

Member with 61 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 02:58 PM #12
I followed all the way through and reached "Run" but after that, I do not have the option to select "Exandable String Value from the Edit"
In the side window when I click run, I have "Default" AVG9_Tray, Itunes, Quicktime, Sunjava, WD Drive.
Under Run, I have OptionalComponents, IMAIL, MAPI, MSFS.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 03:01 PM #13
nice one saga lout,do as saga lout has instructed,uninstall your keyboard,reboot see what the outcome is

13-Apr-2010, 03:07 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djohnson2 View Post
I followed all the way through and reached "Run" but after that, I do not have the option to select "Exandable String Value from the Edit"
In the side window when I click run, I have "Default" AVG9_Tray, Itunes, Quicktime, Sunjava, WD Drive.
Under Run, I have OptionalComponents, IMAIL, MAPI, MSFS.

It's Edit>New and then Expandable etc.
Member with 61 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 06:34 PM #15
Well, I finally found the place, but the slash "\" I could not get to work, so it's still not working. I don't know what to do now?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!