Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: may have removed some stuff - reg cleaner - laptop slower

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Apr-2010, 02:41 AM #1
Solved: may have removed some stuff - reg cleaner - laptop slower
hi, well there was a reg clean and a reg defrag run on this laptop and some programs removed with prompts ignored. i have run malwarebytes, superantispyware free and it has come back clean. apps and windows hang a little, performance is slower and some apps freeze were they didn't before. this has been tolerated for about a month, looking for assistance. i do have os disc and driver/app recovery disc but have not initiated repair, would really appreciate any help / suggestions. thank you for your time.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 04:02 AM #2
hiya,3rdgreatest before wiping your hard drive try a system restore to see if it improves,Go to start>accessessories>system tools>system restore,click on the arrow top left to go backwards and choose a date that is in a bolder print when you recall your pc was running ok,if the restore is unsuccessful you can go to another date and try or back to todays date
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2010, 08:41 AM #3
thanks for replying. i have tried to roll back as far as 3 months back with no noticeable changes. again, this has been a persisting problem that, while obviously slower, the laptop has been functional for the past month. i tried the system restore at 3 months, then tried 6, but it did not take. i should say that I would rather avoid reinstall.
Member with 966 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Apr-2010, 08:44 AM #4
Do you know what program was used to clean the registry? It may have saved a backup of what it "fixed."
Moderator with 63,365 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 08:46 AM #5
may want to try restore in safe mode; that usually takes.

Regardless, I hope that you learned about the hazards of registry cleaners..........sorry to hear that it was the hard way, though.

One other thing, you can always reinstall XP and keep the existing file structure. This means that you won't lose any data that isn't in the 'my documents' folder.

cheers,

v

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2010, 08:47 AM #6
yes, although no longer installed, it was tuneup utilities
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2010, 08:51 AM #7
yeah, valis, learned the hard way. just glad the pc didn't come to a stand still. if it comes to it, i'll initiate a reinstall like you mention.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 10:06 AM #8
hiya 3rdgreatest,try a windows repair first see how that pans out before a complete wipe/reinstall
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2010, 10:23 AM #9
is the sticky'd thread a good start then?, for the repair i mean.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 01:44 PM #10
yes my friend,select your os and follow the instructions( print them off if you can).Please report back if any problems,g/luck Huggie54
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2010, 12:31 PM #11
ok, i did the repair install, and some stuff wasn't installed correctly for some reason. most noticeably the keyboard hardware. which left me stuck for a half hour. i tried a 2nd time and same outcome, keyboard hardware failure to install, fatal error. so, with my pointer still working, I copied files i didn't want to lose to an external hd and did the complete reinstall. at the moment, everything looks/seems good, performance isn't slow, but I've yet to reinstall my programs other than antivirus/spyware.
i'd like to thank huggie54 and those who commented, i appreciate the suggestions, thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

15-Apr-2010, 12:37 PM #12
g/luck mate Huggie54
Moderator with 63,365 posts.

15-Apr-2010, 01:03 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgreatest View Post
ok, i did the repair install, and some stuff wasn't installed correctly for some reason. most noticeably the keyboard hardware. which left me stuck for a half hour. i tried a 2nd time and same outcome, keyboard hardware failure to install, fatal error. so, with my pointer still working, I copied files i didn't want to lose to an external hd and did the complete reinstall. at the moment, everything looks/seems good, performance isn't slow, but I've yet to reinstall my programs other than antivirus/spyware.
i'd like to thank huggie54 and those who commented, i appreciate the suggestions, thanks.
sorta what we're here for, hondo.

hope to see you back giving advice..........it's a fun, and rather addicting, thing to do.

cheers,

v
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
registry cleaner, registry cleaners

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!