Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Command Prompt Format for Reinstalling XP?

(!)

Member with 111 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 10:57 AM #1
Command Prompt Format for Reinstalling XP?
How exactly should this be written from the Microsoft Guide below as I am having the trouble outlined?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

c:
copy cd-rom:\win98\smartdrv.exe
copy cd-rom:\tools\oldmsdos\xcopy*.*

c:\windows\system32>c:
c:\windows\system32>c: copy d:\win98\smartdrv.exe
c:\windows\system32>c copy d:\tools\oldmsdos\xcopy*.*

Is my version correct above? Or how would I make the changes as I am a complete novice!! Not sure if the command should be written like this to begin with: c:\windows\system32>

Thanks

Last edited by mrfixituk; 14-Apr-2010 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Extra information
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Apr-2010, 02:55 PM #2
The c:\windows\system32> part is the prompt that is displayed in the command prompt window showing you the current drive and directory.
You would type this:
Code:
C:
copy D:\win98\smartdrv.exe
copy D:\tools\oldmsdos\xcopy*.*
Assuming you started with the prompt showing c:\windows\system32>, What you would see is this, the blue text is displayed by the system, you do not type that part:
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>C:
C:\>copy D:\win98\smartdrv.exe
C:\>copy D:\tools\oldmsdos\xcopy*.*
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,371 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Apr-2010, 04:39 PM #3
You're not able to boot from the XP CD and let it do all the work?

Do you have a full version or upgrade version XP CD?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 111 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 08:05 AM #4
I tried to repair XP with the CD, but it stopped half way through asking for the file in the microsoft guide. Not sure if the cd is the full version or upgrade as currently at library!! Thanks for your help so far!! I haven't got a windows 98 disc at the moment, but will try.

Also from the guide it seems I can get the file from the hard drive anyway? Is that correct or do I have to use it as part of the steps?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,371 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Apr-2010, 10:36 AM #5
I'll leave you with TheOutcaste. I've never done a XP repair. If things get that bad for me, I do a XP reinstall.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 09:36 PM #6
The error message is usually because of a problem reading from the CD, or using a CD that wasn;'t burned correctly, so the files it's looking for are missing.

The steps you asked about in the first post will only work if the hard drive is formatted FAT32, and the whole purpose is to copy the files to the hard drive so when the error occurs, you can point setup to the hard drive instead of the CD-ROM.

Have you verified that the ASMS folder is present on the CD?
It's located in the i386 folder (X:\I386\ASMS), and a retail disk will have either 4 (RTM), 7 (SP1a), or 10 (SP2/SP3) subfolders right under it.

A bit of history might help too, as to why you are doing the repair, and the current status, i.e., can you still boot into Windows, or does it now just boot into Windows Setup?
Member with 111 posts.

17-Apr-2010, 07:46 AM #7
Well I've got two XP discs and neither work. I originally was getting a blue screen error 0x0000008E (although not 100% sure it was that one as I have my papers at home - again at the library trying to figure it out.) everytime windows reached the desk top upon starting up it would shut down. I think I removed a file when doing a spybot search and destroy. I thought if I could repair windows it would help restore the system. I can't start up in safe mode anymore or boot normally and reach the desk top because the repair keeps stating.

Also I tried the command prompt yesterday and it didn't work.

I got this on screen:

C:\windows\system32>C:
C:\windows\system32>

Why is it not changing the directory so it begins just with:

C:\>

??
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

18-Apr-2010, 07:01 AM #8
My example above is incorrect, I started with the line you showed then pasted the next two. My apologies for the confusion.
If you boot from the Win98 CD, you should actually be starting at an A:\> prompt though, not a C:\Windows\system32> prompt.

When booting from the Win98 CD, here's a screen shot of what you would see.
I've colored the text you would type in blue
Command Prompt Format for Reinstalling XP?-win98copy.png

If your hard drive is formatted as NTFS and has no FAT or FAT32 partitions, after typing C: you would get this error: Invalid drive specification
And if the drive is formatted as NTFS you can't use the method shown under the Hard disk formatted with FAT or FAT32 file system section.

How are you getting to the command prompt, is this using the SHIFT+F10 method when you get the error message?

Typing the drive letter just changes the drive, not the path. To change directories to the root of the drive, you would type CD \

If Setup hasn't completely replaced your original boot.ini file, this might let you stop the automatic boot into Windows Setup and try booting back into your current install:
Start (or restart) the PC, then start tapping the F8 key about twice a second.
(Some PCs use F8 for other options, in that case try F5. On some Multimedia keyboards you may have to hold a separate Function key down so the Fx keys will not be seen as media keys)

The following Menu should appear:
Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:

• Safe Mode
  • Safe Mode with Networking
  • Safe Mode with Command Prompt
  • Enable Boot Logging
  • Enable VGA Mode
  • Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
  • Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
  • Debugging Mode
  • Disable automatic restart on system failure
  • Start Windows Normally
  • Reboot
  • Return to OS Choices Menu
Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Choose the Return to OS Choices Menu option, this should return you to the Boot Menu where you should have two choices, Windows Setup and your current install.

If you can't boot normally, choose Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking from the above menu, that should then return you to the OS Choices Menu where you can choose your current install and boot to Safe Mode. You can then edit the boot.ini to increase the time the boot menu is displayed, and set your current install as the default instead of Windows Setup.
To do this, right click My Computer, click Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery
You can select the Default OS from the Default operating system: drop down box, and adjust the time the menu is displayed in the two lines below
Member with 111 posts.

19-Apr-2010, 07:38 AM #9
Thanks for your help again! I use shift+F10 when it says.... Windows is restarting setup... I think it still takes me to to this even though I use safe mode - will check when I get home!!

Where in bios do I find out what file system my PC using?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
19-Apr-2010, 07:45 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixituk View Post
Thanks for your help again! I use shift+F10 when it says.... Windows is restarting setup... I think it still takes me to to this even though I use safe mode - will check when I get home!!

Where in bios do I find out what file system my PC using?
There is no place in BIOS that will tell that. If you boot the XP CD to the Recovery Console and type:

map

it will tell you about all partitions and file systems. You can also format the drive with my modified recovery console CD:

XP Recovery Console CD Image With Formatting Enabled
Member with 111 posts.

21-Apr-2010, 05:39 AM #11
I can't use the recovery console as I can't remember the administrator login!!

I can't boot in safe mode with networking as I get this message:"Windows XP set up cannot run under safe mode. Set up will restart now."

The only option from the boot menu is to start Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

How do I get it to start with an A:\> prompt?

I tried C:\>A:

I got a device is not ready message.

Isn't drive A the diskette drive?

I assume I use command prompt when booting Win 98 from the ASMS file not found screen and not the F12 boot menu/boot from IDE/CD ROM device?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

21-Apr-2010, 06:32 AM #12
To use those steps you must boot with the Win98 CD or Win98 Startup floppy disk, not using SHIFT+F10. And that will only work if the drive is formatted FAT32, which is not likely unless your XP install was an upgrade from a Win9X version.

The whole purpose of those steps is to copy the XP CD to the hard drive and run Setup from the hard drive instead of the CD. Copy can read from CD better than Setup can, so if the drive is formatted FAT32, you can copy the files to the hard drive to get around this limitation.

If the drive is formatted NTFS you cannot use that method, you'll have to use one of the three methods under the Hard disk formatted with NTFS file system section.

Not sure if this will work, but after getting to the Command Prompt using SHIFT+F10, type chkdsk and press Enter. As soon as it starts, press CTRL+C to stop it. The first line after you typed chkdsk should say one of the following:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The type of the file system is FAT32.

This will tell you the file system, and which of the methods in the article you need to use.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!