Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Acer aspire 4720z wireless card problem

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 05:36 PM #1
Acer aspire 4720z wireless card problem
Hi guys, i have trying to repair an acer laptop for a friend, they had installed windows XP because they did not like Vista, but now the wireless does not work, i thought it would be a simple affair as i had recently fixed another friends IBM by going to the site and downloading the drivers, but in the case of this Acer, i am not sure which wireless card it has in, the acer website lists atheros, broadcom, and intel wireless drivers, i believe i have tried all three with no luck, in device manager it is also showing the "network controller" as needing drivers. Can someone guide me in the right direction with this?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 05:47 PM #2
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 05:49 PM #3
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,400 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Apr-2010, 05:51 PM #4
Adam:

Is there any entries in the Network Adapters heading in the Device Manager? Normally, there would be listings for the wired and wireless network adapters for a laptop.

I'm going to assume there's an Other Devices heading. What's listed in it?

Once we determine which entry is for the wireless network adapter, we can obtain the vendor ID and device ID and then go from there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 16-Apr-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 07:06 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
Adam:

Is there any entries in the Network Adapters heading in the Device Manager? Normally, there would be listings for the wired and wireless network adapters for a laptop.

I'm going to assume there's an Other Devices heading. What's listed in it?

Once we determine which entry is for the wireless network adapter, we can obtain the vendor ID and device ID and then go from there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Flavallee, under other devices there is "network controller" and "unknown device". I assume i need to sort the network controller but i can't seem to find drivers for that, or is the network controller referring to the wireless adapter? Keep in mind regular wired connection works, its only the wireless that is not installed..
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,400 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Apr-2010, 08:19 AM #6
Double-click the "Network Controller" and "Other Device" entries to open their properties window.

Click the "Details" tab.

Expand the list and look for "Device Id" or "Device Instance Id" or "Matching Device Id" or "Hardware Id".

In the string you will see DEV_ and VEN_ with 4 characters after each one.

Advise what they are.

--------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!