Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Screen resolution causes window to shift too far to the right

(!)

Member with 34 posts.

24-Apr-2010, 02:47 PM #1
Question Screen resolution causes window to shift too far to the right
Hello,
I recently moved my desktop computer to the kitchen so I can use it while I cook. It is hooked up to my kitchen tv (as a monitor). The TV is much wider than what I am used to for a computer monitor. The default screen resolution (1024x768) was stretching everything out too much and distorting text and graphics. I went into the display property and selected a different screen resolution which looks MUCH better for text and graphics (1280x720), but the visible window is too far to the right side and it's cutting off the right side of the window. I can't see scroll bars or the red X (close window button). There is some empty space on the left side of the screen that is not being used with this resolution (it's just black). I'm trying to figure out a way to shift the active window a little to the left so I can see all of my buttons and other things on the far right of the window. Does anyone know how to do that? (That used to be a standard option with OLD computer monitors - you could nudge the image up, down, left and right).

There are only 3 screen resolutions available, the other one (which looks horrible) is 800x600. Not sure if I can do anything to add other resolution options as another solution maybe?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Nancy
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,517 posts.

24-Apr-2010, 04:54 PM #2
Yes and it is still is with many of them, in fact with far more variants of left, right, up, down, vertical size horizontal size etc. - the computer monitor I mean.
You have only three choices - reduce the screen resolution to fit the screen in the television screen,
Buy a different television ie: same size as the monitor screen
Buy a different graphics card for the computer.
ONLY JOKING REALLY, but the answer is NO, either your graphics card will allow a resolution to fit the TV screen or it will not.
Is there a way of moving the image on the TV screen, there usually is.
Here are the full technical details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard
Have you checked that the computer has now accepted the TV/monitor as the installed monitor on Hardware - Device Manager.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!