Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unwanted Search Bar

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-May-2010, 05:15 AM #1
Unwanted Search Bar
Hoping someone can help me.
I had an update from MSN last night. After the update I shut the computer down and went to bed. This morning there is an additional search bar on my computer. I has a gold star on the left side and then a Green + sign over a smaller gold sta on the right sider. I have no idea if this is from MSN or not but I don't need this extra seach window and I don't want it. I am sure it is just going to slow down the computer more. I have enough junk on this computer as it is. lol
I tried going into Add and Remove but do not see anything unusual listed.
I have taken a screen shot and would like to know what this bar is and especially how to remove the darn thing.
While I am at it, a long time ago after another update, a URL bar was placed on the task bar. Dell tried to remove it but was not able. I don't really need this taking up room so I would love to have this removed as well.
I had to reduce the screen shot image so much I am not sure anyone can see it now to tell anything..
Can someone please help me?
Thanks,
Mary V.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp NEW ITEM ON TASKBAR.bmp (185.7 KB, 100 views)
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,257 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-May-2010, 10:58 AM #2
It is called the "Favorites" bar, right click the bar near the Gold Star and select "Favorites Bar" to remove the check mark and it will be gone.
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 11:22 AM #3
Unwanted srarch bar
Thanks Dave, After clicking on the area by the sta,r I am not given an option to remove or uncheck anything that says favorites.
I have also tried to select properties after right clicking on the area and still nothing there. I am going to attach a new screen shot where it shows what is showing after doing a right click. When I click on the add or remove commands nothing at all happens as well. I was hoping this would lead to something that I could uncheck or remove..lol
I did have to move some of things around in the screen shot in order to make it small enough to attach to this message.
Any idea on how to remove that useless URL bar as well? I really don't need it and it just takes up more room.
Thanks for trying to help.
Mary
Attached Images
File Type: bmp NEW ITEM ON TASKBAR 2.bmp (172.9 KB, 71 views)
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 02:11 PM #4
In the attached image "Right click" in the area that is circled in red and then you should see the context menu that is shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Unwanted Search Bar-favoritesbar.jpg  
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

01-May-2010, 02:58 PM #5
A checkmark next to an item means it will be displayed. If you don't want to display something, uncheck it. The search toolbar is almost certainly the MSN Search Toolbar. Uncheck it, and it goes away.
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 05:21 PM #6
Unwanted search bar
Hi Dave,
Again I would like to thank you for your help. Hopefully we will find a way to get rid of these unwanted features.
That is the area that I right clicked on, and then took a screen shot.. Right next to the stars.
When I do this it looks nothing like the one that you show. There is no favorites bar to uncheck.
My last message had a screen shot of what it looks like when I right click in that area. Really, there is nothing there that shows favorites.
If you look at the attachment, it shows you what is available to add or uncheck, right clicking on the star area. It is the same exact thing no matter where I click on the entire taskbar MSN or Google area..
If I can do anything else to help, please let me know.

Mary
Attached Images
File Type: bmp NEW ITEM ON TASKBAR 3.bmp (170.9 KB, 56 views)

01-May-2010, 05:23 PM #7
It doesn't look the same because it's a different version of Internet Explorer. You can't uncheck Favorites because there is no Favorites tool bar on your version of IE. Uncheck MSN Search Toolbar.
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 05:25 PM #8
Per post number 5 it is the MSN Search bar.
I am showing what I see in IE8 not using MSN interface as I do NOT have it (MSN) installed and have NOT since Windows 95.
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 05:55 PM #9
Gosh you guys are great!!! I am just sorry I am having problems trying to remove this bar.

I have uncheck the MSN search bar, and all it does is remove the MSN search bar that I have to use in my business.
I usually have 3 search bars that I work with, but after the URL bar was added, another MSN update, it was driving me nuts since it made the task bar so large. I truly hate un-necessary features and wish MSN would stop forcing these down our throats.
I do not have IE 8 that I know of. I hate the MSN updates, and almost everytime I get something added that I don't want, and then end up going to forums trying to find out how to remove them..lol

When I go to some sites, I do get messages saying I need to update to IE 8. but I don't.
I tried to verify my IE version, to make sure that was not the update that was recently download.
Right clicking on IE, selecting properties, no longer shows me what version that I have.
I am attaching another screen shot to show what appears when I go to the add and remove in tools, under Manage ADD-Ons. I am not sure if this will help anyone or not.
I was hoping that it would show this bar but it does not.
Thanks again for all the help.
It really very, very appreciated.
Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Unwanted Search Bar-manage-add-ons.jpg  

01-May-2010, 05:57 PM #10
What are you trying to remove if it's not the MSN Search Toolbar? I don't get it.
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 06:08 PM #11
Sorry, I guess you did kind of come in on the middle of things..lol
After an MSN update I gained a new search bar. I don't know if this has anything to do with MSN or not but I feel like it does. There is, what I am told now is af favorites search bar. I dont' like it, I don't need it and I don't want it. Please view attachment #1.
I also have a URL address bar, from a previous update, that I dont' use and really don't want. I would like to get this removed as well. It just takes up more room to add them to the task bar at the top of my screen.
Please refer to attachment #1 to see these areas I have circled..
I think you guys are great. I have never had so many responses trying to help.
Thanks,
Mary

01-May-2010, 06:16 PM #12
I did look at your first attachment and all subsequent attachments. There's no "middle of things" in a forum where all the posts are there for everyone to read.

I still don't get it. I don't see any extra search toolbar. Perhaps you could take a full screen shot so we can see everything instead of an annotated snipit. I don't know why you'd want to get rid of the URL bar, but I don't know of a way with IE 6.
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 06:26 PM #13
Hi,
The new bar is the one with the large gold star and then the smaller star with the green plus sign. I was told by DaveA that this was called a favorites bar. It makes sense since there icon is a star. ??
Please bear with me I am not that computer savvy.
Please clearify how can i take a full screen shot when the attachments are not accepted due to size. Do I just reduce a full screen shot to be 300KB if Jpeg or 200KB if bmp? Will you be able to view it?
I am having to reduce the shots since the system is not allowing me to attach them.
I really don't have any use at all for the URL bar and hate that it takes up the room that I could use for another search engine. Since each search company gives different results, I find this much more helpful to me than the URL bar.
Thanks again,
Mary
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-May-2010, 08:42 PM #14
Save your screenshots as jpg, not bmp. Your first one as a BMP is 186 KB. As a JPG it would only be 27KB.

You have the Menu bar checked, so to check the browser version, click on Help | About Internet Explorer.

Can't tell what tool bar that Search Web drop down box is on with the limited screen shot. If you uncheck MSN Search and it goes away, it's part of MSN Search. You'll have to check the MSN Search toolbar options to see if you can remove it. Looks like it may be similar to the Google Search drop down just above it, where you can choose what you want to search.

Sounds like you updated from IE6 to IE7. In IE7 you can not turn off the address bar like you could in IE 6. And you can't get rid of the two gold stars. They are a permanent part of the Tab/Command bar.
The plain one opens the Favorites Center. The one with the green plus sign adds the current page to your favorites.

MSN Search Toolbar has been replaced with the Bing Bar. I couldn't find an old version of the MSN search to install, but the attached screen shot shows IE7 with Bing, Google, and Windows Live toolbars installed. Just to the right of the gold stars is the Quick Tabs button.

The 2nd one shows Google on the same band as the Menu bar, and Windows Live and Bing on the same band. The Quick Tabs button has been removed.

You can add multiple search providers in the search box in the upper right corner. If you only use the search feature of one (or more) of the toolbars, you can add them there and remove the tool bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Unwanted Search Bar-ie7toolbar1.jpg   Unwanted Search Bar-ie7toolbar2.jpg  
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 09:59 PM #15
Hi, Thank you for trying to help.
I unchecked the MSN search toolbar after right clicking on the bar itself. It shut off the MSN search but did nothing to remove the favorites bar. I really don't want to completely remove the tool bar since I know only the newer Bing bar will be downloaded in it's place.

I don't see anything when going to control panel and selecting add and remove that looks any different than it did before the update.
Thanks for letting me know where to look for the IE info. I have IE 7.0.
I have had this for a while so I am sure the update was not for IE.
I really to keep the older version of MSN.
I can't believe that MSN has shoved another feature down our throats that is not needed or even wanted.
I sell on the internet in our online store and on Ebay. I am always looking for new suppliers. I like to use MSN and Google as well as Yahoo or ASK. They all bring up different results.
With the extras that they are putting on the toolbar if I had all the search windows that I use it would take up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the page.
I am attaching another screen shot of the tool bar without the drop down boxes showing so you can see more.
I don't know if it will help but I will try anything to get rid of these unwanted features.
Chalk it off to being over 60, and not liking changes that I don't need...lol
Thanks so much to everyone for trying to help.
Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Unwanted Search Bar-tool-bar.jpg  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
unwanted search bar

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!