Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Local disc drive E: showing no space Help needed please

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-May-2010, 06:49 PM #1
Local disc drive E: showing no space Help needed please
I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could please help me with my problem. I have searched the internet for a solution but still struggling. Please bear with me as I am a newbie when it comes to technical stuff....When I purchased my computer I find I have local disk (E) and HDD (C), I am not sure why I have 2 seperate drives as I have only ever had a C drive on my past computers. all my programs seem to be on E drive and this is where the problem is I have perfomed disk cleanup and got rid of programs I dont use but still drive remains full?? I cannot run disk defragmenter as it tells me my drive is full. I am at a standstill and do not know what to do next please can anyone help me out.

My OS is Windows XP, File system NTFS, Local Disk E 5.99 GB with 18.1MB free, HDD C 180GB with 161GB free

Many thanks

Last edited by dolllydaisy; 01-May-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Member with 1,670 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-May-2010, 09:13 PM #2
all the programs installed and the operating system should be on "C" drive. It may be that "E"and "C" may be on the one HDD you can check this in disk management which is in administrative_tools/computer management located in the control panel. if the "E" drive is the system partition then you can move your own files to "C" and "my documents" as well will free up space, yes the "E" drive is full up and that is why you can't defrag "E"

02-May-2010, 04:29 AM #3
thank you johnebadbak for your reply...I have found disk management as you advised and yes it does look like the drive is partitioned. I have E: extended partition 6.0GB (healthy boot) and C: primary partition healthy system 180.29GB. I am naive as to what this means as the local disk and HDD label has thrown me am I right in thinking the E drive is there for my OS and hardware installation, do I leave my program files on E also? the C drive should I use for downloads and storage etc?

EDIT: Sorry I just looked again at disk management and the E drive is framed in a green colour I think I have got muddled up thinking it means its an extended drive, there is also a thick blue line which am I right in thinking this indicates its a logical drive....Im more confused than ever now...lol

Cany anyone tell me why I have a partition? Can I not transfer everything over to C: and get rid of E:? I am confused. I appreciate your help.

many thanks

Last edited by dolllydaisy; 02-May-2010 at 07:23 AM..
Member with 1,670 posts.

03-May-2010, 10:30 PM #4
Ok "E" is the os bootable partition. unfortunately who ever built up the pc didn't install the os on "C" drive where it should be.
Still you can manage with the way the system is set up... move my documents to "C" thats right click on my documents desktop icon click "properties" click "move"find target browse the file manager and select "C" you can create a folder on "C" call it my docs then browse to C:\mydocs through the "find target" the my documents icon will still be on the desktop but the path to its files will be on "C" this will move a large portion of your files to "C" and free up space..on "E" don't move any system files or program files as this will mess up the operating system and become unusable

Actually "E" partition is a bit to small for the os and program files should be at least 20gig.
some time in the future you may want to correct the way the system has been set up.
primary active _bootable "C" 30gig. extended partition "E" the balance of the HDD with a logical drive letter."E" on it.

06-May-2010, 10:49 AM #5
Thank you, I did this and it created a little space but now I am getting the low disk space warning again. Is there anything else that I can do?

Thanks
Member with 1,670 posts.

07-May-2010, 01:27 AM #6
im afraid the system partition is to small usually a size of 20_30 gig is a better option than 6gig which was ok for win98
you will most probable have to back up data you want to keep to a chip drive. then dump the partitions on the HDD do a reinstall of windows and create a primary "C' of 30gig install the system on it when you have windows up and running use windows disk manager to create a partition for the balance of the Hdd with a virtual volume of the same size.

17-May-2010, 02:47 PM #7
Is there a way I can get rid of the partition and just have C: ?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!