Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows TEMP folder filling up?

(!)

Member with 445 posts.

14-May-2010, 11:09 PM #1
Windows TEMP folder filling up?
Hi,

I have a friend who has Windows XP SP3 running with Vipre Anti Virus, the problem that arise is his temp folder seems to be filling up with these types of files..

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SBS_7ZIP_OPEN_20100414122513.234_ 7461

He has a 300GB hard drive and only about 20 or 30GB is used but the rest of the Hard drive will get filled with the above temp files until the whole drives runs out of space..its'll go down to 1 MB or less so the rest of the 200GB is full of temp files..and the low hard drive notifications popsup.. I always have ro have him run CCleaer to clean out his temp folder. This happens everyday...

I'm not sure what program is creating all these files, I had him uninstall his backup program (GFI home backup)..I see that a program is using the 7ZIP program or someting to create these files..I'm just lost? Can anyone help me out please, I really need to find out what is causing windows or a program to create this type of temp files until the hard drive runs out of space?

Thank you!

Last edited by kalisun; 15-May-2010 at 12:24 PM..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 503 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-May-2010, 11:22 PM #2
I've been running Vipre for over a year now - brilliant app - I have tried many - and none can touch that software - it's not Vipre that is loading those files - there claim to fame is - the fastest - best Antivirus out that use the littlest system resources .
What sites does he frequent?
That may be the problem?
Another fast cleaner > "Cleanup"
http://www.stevengould.org/index.php...tent&task=view
And "CookieNator" may help also>
http://www.codefromthe70s.org/cookienator.aspx
Member with 445 posts.

15-May-2010, 01:15 AM #3
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, i do agree, vipre is a very good product..I didn't mean to say it was the product but just to let people know what anti virus was on the computer so they would know it has virus protection..
Computer Specs
Member with 557 posts.

15-May-2010, 09:14 AM #4
He can use tfc by oltimer to clean up temp files. http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/TFC-T...r-file187.html
Member with 445 posts.

15-May-2010, 12:20 PM #5
Thank you all for all your helpful responses..

We do have an temp file cleaning program...CCleaner, its set to delete "ALL" temp files including ones less than 24hrs old..but it seems he has to run it everyday? There seems to be something that keeps creating those temp files i mentioned in my previous posts until the hard drives runs out of space? He runs CCleaner and then it happens all over again? So he has to run CCleaner a few times a week, sometimes twice a day? I can't figure what program will create over 200GB of temp files in a day?
I was hopefully looking for a cause for these temp files filling up the hard drive? I want to know if its a program or Windows itself for some reason or some other program that is creating more than 200GB of temp files? He run his Viper scan daily and it alwasy comes back clean? so I don't think its a trojan/virus?

thanks for the help tho!
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,900 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-May-2010, 04:00 PM #6
Don't ignore cleaning out this temp folder on a regular basis:

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\(USERNAME)\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

16-May-2010, 11:24 PM #7
If it were me I would download and install the free CodeStuffStarter and find out what is exactly running on startup - and also research the processes - it's great free app - and by right clicking over your choice you have many options to control your pc.
Set a system restore point first.
http://codestuff.tripod.com/products_starter.html
I've uploaded some screen shots to give an example of controlling Itunes.
Good Luck - hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Windows TEMP folder filling up?-starter-1.jpg   Windows TEMP folder filling up?-starter2.jpg   Windows TEMP folder filling up?-starter3.jpg   Windows TEMP folder filling up?-starter4.jpg   Windows TEMP folder filling up?-starter5.jpg  

Member with 1,657 posts.

17-May-2010, 09:34 PM #8
Most likely the most recent temp file will be still in use, by the program that created it. You will not be able to delete it.

If it is still in use, you can use Unlocker 1.8.9 to discover the process that created it. It's a small utility that adds to your right click menu. Right click the new file, choose Unlocker, and it will show the process that is using it.

moper
Computer Specs

17-May-2010, 11:56 PM #9
That's a great tip thanks Mopar
Member with 445 posts.

18-May-2010, 12:45 AM #10
Thanks for all these great apps and ideas! I'll try them out and report back..

Thank you again!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

20-May-2010, 09:50 AM #11
I am having the same problem but running Windows 7. I've tried multiple different AV's and spyware cleaners. None of them worked. I am also using vipre.
Computer Specs

20-May-2010, 02:47 PM #12
Welcome Ginmill - Have you tried running that free CodeStuffStarter and taking a look see at what is running on startups and processes?
The Download link is in the link above.
Computer Specs

21-May-2010, 09:22 AM #13
No I have not run that yet. I am doing a test on vipre. We use it at work and we have had some issues with it. With the files starting with SBS I was thinking SBS = sunbelt software which is the company that makes vipre. I killed the process last night and left my computer running. I had check what time the files were getting made and it is around the time vipre is set to do scans. This morning my computer was locked up so forced and unexpected reboot. Unsure of what time it had locked up but I do not have any of the files in the temp folder at this time. Will be testing this for the rest of the week with vipre off and will be starting a support thread with vipre.
Computer Specs

21-May-2010, 09:46 AM #14
Just got off the phone with vipre's tech support. He seems to think something is preventing vipre from updating to a new version. Are you running any other AV's. I am also running MSE which I think my be preventing this. I am doing a manual update of vipre. Also check your version to make sure it is the most current version. I did let them know of the issue with the computer that started this thread, being 2 different OS's.
Computer Specs

21-May-2010, 03:23 PM #15
Aha - I bet that was it - they kept prompting me - (new software downloaded - install now?) - I said "no" for awhile - and I too had a ridiculous number of temp files being cleaned out - I installed the new software and rebooted the 1st of the month - and when I run clean up I know longer get the "Wow - Cleanup has deleted 1Gb" message.
It was the new software sitting in a temp folder - waiting to install. Doh!
Also I never use the scheduled scan on Vipre - I only go to safe sites and it's been awhile since anything scary has come out.
I do run a manual scan with Malware's Anti Malware once a week.
And once a month I run the free "Remove it Pro" ( this one seems to find stuff others don't - I do set a restore point 1st)
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...o/1139591583/1
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!