Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Intel Boot Agent FE v.4.1.09

(!)

Member with 41 posts.

Experience: I know my way 'round...
05-Jun-2010, 10:47 PM #1
Solved: Intel Boot Agent FE v.4.1.09
Okay so the other day, my grandpa called me, telling me that he had a gift- A laptop. Upon receiving it, i realized that it was a fairly old Toshiba Satellite laptop (A15-S129) from the Philippines. After a week or so, i realized that it was still only XP with service pack 2, so i went up to microsoft update, and started trying to update it. Then i got into a bunch of junk about it being non-genuine Windows, because it did not match the region it was currently in (usa). So i abandoned my quest to update drivers and such, and accepted it. Then today, i started getting messages from the comp as it restarted a few times, warning me that it was in danger because it wasn't genuine.
Now, it won't start up.. Instead, I get this message:
Intel(R) Boot Agent FE v4.1.09
Copyright (C) 1997-2002, Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Mddia test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Insert system disk in drive.
Press any key when ready....

I do not have a windows XP disk, but i'm going to go get one from my uncle tomorrow. Luckily, i have nothing saved on there except a good game of Shogun: Total War. If i put the disk in and reload Windows, will my problems be fixed? Also, the battery only lasts about 5 minutes. How can i fix that?
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jun-2010, 08:30 PM #2
Welcome to TSG!

The Intel(R) Boot Agent FE v4.1.09 message means it's trying to boot from a network. Either the boot options in the BIOS got changed somehow, or the system is not seeing the hard drive; it may have died.

Boot into the BIOS and check the settings, For Toshiba's you usually hold down the ESC key as you power on. Make sure the hard drive shows up in the BIOS, and check the boot sequence. SHould be CD, HD, then LAN/Netowrk/PXE last. The user guide should have info on the VIOS settings, you should be able to find the guide on the Toshiba website:
Toshiba Product Support

If the drive is not being seen in the BIOS, physically remove it, then reinstall, sometimes the connection just goes bad. There may be diagnostics you can run from the BIOS to check the system as well.
Member with 41 posts.

06-Jun-2010, 10:54 PM #3
okay it's default set at CD-ROM -> LAN -> HDD -> FDD, and i can't make the HDD go before the LAN... unless it goes before the CD-ROM...? but i was talking to my uncle that used to be decent with computers, and he said it's probably something wrong with the hard drive as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

06-Jun-2010, 11:38 PM #4
Should be able to order them any way you want. Try putting the HDD first, see if you get something different.
Member with 41 posts.

06-Jun-2010, 11:49 PM #5
so try HDD > CD>LAN>FDD? or HDD>FDD>CD>LAN?
Member with 41 posts.

06-Jun-2010, 11:50 PM #6
went HDD>CD>LAN>FDD. worked and everything's starting up. Thanks a lot!
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

06-Jun-2010, 11:54 PM #7
You're Welcome!
Glad it wasn't the hard drive, though why it changed is a mystery.

Not sure why you can't get CD>HDD> in the sequence. May have to use FDD>CD>HDD>LAN.
Something to try if you need to boot from a CD in the future, though you may have a Key you can press at boot to bring up a boot menu, F12 is common, that would let you chose the CD when needed.
Member with 41 posts.

09-Jun-2010, 09:10 AM #8
okay it went down again. I was toodling about on the internet, when suddenly i got a bluescreen. as it started up, it told me a system32 file was missing from the folder.. can't remember which one. i restarted many times, and it still said so. But several hours later, i started it up again, and got the same message as above. I tried reordering the bootup order, to no avail. I'm really not sure what's happening.
Member with 41 posts.

14-Jun-2010, 12:00 PM #9
shameless, desperate, bump.
when i plug the internet cable in, it pulls up a MAC LAN address, then a bunch of F's, then it tells me it can't boot up still... do i need to go and find a winXP disk?
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

14-Jun-2010, 03:45 PM #10
The boot order changing in the BIOS could be because the RTC (CMOS) battery is weak, or dead. Usually the time/date will reset as well, going back several years, but if the battery is just weak, sometimes only some settings are affected.
This model uses a rechargeable RTC battery that is charged from the main battery only when the PC is on. It only holds a charge for about one month, so if it's been off for more than a month, or you run it with the main battery removed, it can go dead. It can also just go bad like any battery can.

If the Boot Priority settings haven't changed again, it could be the hard drive has died.

Was the missing file message:
Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or Corrupt: \Windows\System32\Config\System

This could be because the hard drive was failing, and now has died completely, so you get the attempt to boot from the LAN.

You can test the hard drive using the drive manufacturer's diagnostics, or one of the general programs. You can pull the drive out and get the Manufacturer's name off the label, Toshiba has used a few different manufacturers.
Removing and re-installing the drive might help as well, as it could just be a bad connection. The User Guide from the Toshiba site doesn't give any info on removing the drive, but it's usually just a few screws on the cover for the drive bay, and one or two holding the drive in.

The XP CD would let you boot to the Recovery Console, at least see if it can access the drive. A Linux CD, or other Live CD would work as well.

Hard Drive Diagnostics:

Seagate/Maxtor
Western Digital
IBM/Hitachi
Fujitsu/Seimens

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
HD Tune
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Live CDs
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
BartPE CD/DVD
Ultimate Boot CD
Knoppix
Ubuntu
Puppy Linux
The first two require access to a Windows XP Disk

Note: A Vista/Win7 DVD can also be used to recover files and make some repairs. A Vista RE disk can be downloaded from one of these links:
Vista Recovery Environment CD
64 bit Vista
32 bit Vista
Windows 7 from here:
Recovery Environment CD
Member with 41 posts.

14-Jun-2010, 09:42 PM #11
no, it wasn't that particular file.. it started with an H... can't quite remember what it was exactly, because it doesn't show up anymore.
And although i've done it with a desktop, i don't feel very comfortable pulling out the hard drive on a lap top.. But, on the left side, there is a small case that pops off because the screws are missing. when take it off, there is a small box that looks as if it might be my hard drive, and it frequently ticks and whirs while i'm using the computer. It has two white bands coming from it as well, and the whole thing should be fairly simple to remove.. i'm going to remove that, and see if it is the drive, and let you know what i find. Thank you very, very much for helping me so far.

EDIT:
it's a seagate "certified repaid HDD". It just plugs in at the bottom with a bunch of prongs.
but after putting it back in, i tried starting up again. the file is: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

I think there might be two hard drives.. Online, toshiba claims that it's only 40 gigs, but this one has two partitions, amounts of which i cannot remember, but i don't think it added up to 40 or 60...?.

i'm running the seatools for DOS right now. i think the drive is connected just fine, because the program is scanning it. it was still telling me that the hal.dll was missing though last time i checked..

Edit edit:
i did the sea tools thing that seagate suggested, and short test came up with nothing. Long test, however...
it gave me a test code to hold on to if i want to exchange my hard drive.
as per the test though, "Unfortunately, your seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data.
Seagate recommends that you consider repairing the problem sectors. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive. For more information on this subject see our help topic 'Bad Sector Found'."
after hitting done, it ran another short test, then a window popped up, asking me if i wanted to skip or repair. I clicked repair, hoping that it would fix it. And it just said "repaired" as if it was nothing. then it started another short test, and it said it passed after repairs.

Last edited by Gatapi; 14-Jun-2010 at 10:56 PM..
Member with 41 posts.

14-Jun-2010, 11:00 PM #12
okay.. it still gave me the media test failure message, and then gave me the missing hal.dll file too. i'm gonna reset it and put it back to the HDD being first on the boot line up (had to change it so it could start from the seatools thing)..
then it just gives me the missing hal.dll immediately.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

14-Jun-2010, 11:36 PM #13
Sounds like there were some bad sectors. This could be a corrupt or missing boot.ini file, or it could actually be the hal.dll file.

How to fix the missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll error.

If you don't have an XP disk, you can use a Vista/Win 7 Recovery disk (links in the above post), or Download an ISO image for the XP Recovery Console from my web site:
Click on my name, then click the Visit TheOutcaste's homepage link (or right here).
Click the Recovery Console ISO Images link on the left, then pick the image that matches your system.
Download, extract the iso from the ZIP file, burn to a CD, then boot with it.
Member with 41 posts.

15-Jun-2010, 10:45 AM #14
i read through your instructions, and i went to your page, but i can't remember which version of windows i have... i believe it was XP home SP2, but i can't be sure.. Should i use the all 8 images, or the XP boot CD?
also, is there a rating system on this website that i can use to help give you an even better rep? 'cuz you're incredible..
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

15-Jun-2010, 01:07 PM #15
Just use one of the SP2 images, doesn't really matter for this usage which is used as you are not copying files from the CD.

TSG doesn't use a rating system, but your words are appreciated, thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!