Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Latest Windows XP Updates

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jun-2010, 04:56 AM #1
Latest Windows XP Updates
I recently installed the latest XP Updates and then found that the following two keep wanting to be installed again:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB98216)
And:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)

The yellow shield appears again and again after I've installed these updates! Every time it confirms they have been installed, yet it's been SIX times now and it even states on the Microsoft Updates page under 'Installed Updates' that they have been installed successfully! Yet it still says I have to install them!

Now, I have 'Hidden' these 'Updates' as I am sick and tired of seeing the shield!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

12-Jun-2010, 05:14 AM #2
hiya Gemini43,many people having trouble with updates at the moment,to solve type microsoft updates in your search engine,in the top corner type the number KB....... whatever it is and click the search sign at end of this box,you will get a list of sites so select the one for the manual download,download the files to your desktop close the internet and install,reboot
Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

12-Jun-2010, 05:50 AM #3
I don't understand. Why would downloading them again and then installing them again make any difference? I have checked on Microsoft Updates and have found that these updates are stating that they have installed successfully on my computer. In fact KB979909 has been installed six times altogether - once on 9th June and five more times - together with KB982168 on 12th June! That's how often I have installed them. So why does the shield keep showing saying these updates still need installing?
Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

12-Jun-2010, 06:11 AM #4
Just a follow-on....I tried to find these updates to download manually anyway, but all I got were various forums all describing the same problem. But I did get a suggestion from one of them to uninstall KB976769v2 - which was - according to them, causing the problem. However, where do you download the individual updates?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

12-Jun-2010, 07:19 AM #5
go to microsoft download center and type the KBXXXXXX number in the red circled box
Attached Thumbnails
Latest Windows XP Updates-untitled.jpg-1.jpg  
terrawarra terrawarra is offline terrawarra has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Joe Average
12-Jun-2010, 07:19 AM #6
Not too sure if this is related to your exact problems but I'll mention it for what it's worth. I also downloaded the latest Windows updates two days ago and it was quite a large list of updates,.. the one that caused me bother was KB979906 which is an update for NET framework 1.1
The install kept falling over with repeated reminders that an error was encountered with the update installation for NET framework 1.1
On checking my list of Microsoft programs and updates, I noticed that I have NET framework 1, 2 and 3.5 installed. Still not too sure what to do, I took the plunge and uninstalled NET framework 1.1 I reckoned that if I have the later and more newer versions of the NET framework, then why do I need the older 1.1 version.
The happy ending is that the reminders about the failed update installation have ceased and my PC is still running fine.
Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

12-Jun-2010, 11:24 AM #7
That's not the problem I was getting. No error messages at all. It's just that I'd install these two updates and afterwards, when it confirmed they'd been installed - a few minutes later, I'd get the yellow shield telling me to install the self-same updates again! That's six times in all as I said previously. My installed updates tell me these are installed on my computer, so I can't understand why this is happening! Anyway, as I said, I have 'Hidden' them now, and as far as I am concerned they can stay that way!
NB: If I do manage to download these updates individually from Microsoft, as Huggie mentioned, I suppose it would be best to uninstall the ones ostensibly already installed first?
Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

12-Jun-2010, 11:35 AM #8
Huggie - I went to the downloads section looking for these updates and for KB982168 - this is what I got:

NDP30SP2-KB982168-x64.exe - 37.2 MB - Download
NDP30SP2-KB982168-x86.exe - 20.0 MB - Download

You have to take your pick as to which one to download. It just said download whichever suited my requirements - which is about as clear as mud to me!

As for KB979909, this is what I got:

NDP20SP2-KB979909-IA64.exe - 944 KB - Download
NDP20SP2-KB979909-x64.exe - 944 KB - Download
NDP20SP2-KB979909-x86.exe - 831 KB - Download

Again, I should download the one most appropriate. Help!!!!!

You have to be an absolute geek to understand these Microsoft pages!

Last edited by Gemini43; 12-Jun-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
12-Jun-2010, 10:15 PM #9
Have the exact same issue with the same downloads Gemini. Have downloaded the standalone updates, various patches etc recommended on other sites. Still have the same problem, no error messages etc It is driving me bananas, and yes the Microsoft is very hard to follow....and even more painful when you are using Firefox - which prevents you from downloading anything off the Microsoft site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini43 View Post
Huggie - I went to the downloads section looking for these updates and for KB982168 - this is what I got:

NDP30SP2-KB982168-x64.exe - 37.2 MB - Download
NDP30SP2-KB982168-x86.exe - 20.0 MB - Download

You have to take your pick as to which one to download. It just said download whichever suited my requirements - which is about as clear as mud to me!

As for KB979909, this is what I got:

NDP20SP2-KB979909-IA64.exe - 944 KB - Download
NDP20SP2-KB979909-x64.exe - 944 KB - Download
NDP20SP2-KB979909-x86.exe - 831 KB - Download

Again, I should download the one most appropriate. Help!!!!!

You have to be an absolute geek to understand these Microsoft pages!
Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

13-Jun-2010, 05:49 AM #10
Well, I managed to get the old brainbox into gear at last and downloaded the ones with '86' on the end, as there was an '86' on the end of the updates I had originally been trying to install.
Anyway, what I've done finally is to uninstall both KB982168 (which installed as KB976769v2) and KB979909, then download them (the ones with the 86) separately from Microsoft Downloads and install them separately. (B982168 has still installed again as KB976769v2 goodness knows why!) But...I still have these two updates 'Hidden' in M/Ups! I don't want the yellow shield popping up all the time! As far as I'm concerned, they are now installed!
What gets me though, is that they are showing as installed successfully in my 'Installed Updates'!
Thank you all very much for your thoughts anyway - even if we can't completely solve it this time!
Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

18-Jun-2010, 11:35 AM #11
Solved!

I got the solution from Microsoft Help. They got me to download a diagnosic tool, run it and then send them the report. The solution I got is as follows:

This issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. In order to resolve the issue, we have to remove previous versions of .NET Framework and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5, which contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1. Based on its current status, I suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Remove the corrupt .NET Framework components
===============================
1. Please download the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip from the following link:
http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive...eanup_tool.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Unzip the zipped file, and you will get the tool "cleanup_tool.exe".
3. Please double click it and choose Yes to reply.
4. At "Product to cleanup", Choose .NET Framework - All Versions
5. Then Click Cleanup Now

Step 2: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
=======================================================
Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.

1. Click the following link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB979909)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...27bad#filelist

Note: Please download the file "NDP20SP2-KB979909-x86.exe"

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP (KB982168)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...58f66#filelist

Note: Please download the file "NDP30SP2-KB982168-x86.exe"

2. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

However, if any error is encountered when installing .NET Framework 3.5, please capture a screenshot of the error message:

How to capture a Screenshot:
======================
1. When the error appears, please press the "Print Screen" key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".
3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".
4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: v-30agz@mssupport.microsoft.com.

It does work. It takes a long time to do it all and I should just say; after I followed these instructions from M$ yesterday, I found three more updates waiting for me today, which I installed (also took quite a long time) and when I went back to M$ Updates and did a search, I found that I no longer had 'Hidden' updates and everything was up-to-date! So..it was all worth it!

The only query I have now - is why Update KB982168 is showing in Add/Remove as KB976769.v2! I've done searches everywhere and all I get are Microsoft sites spouting jargon that I am at a loss to understand! All I know for certain, is that this is indeed, the correct update, but is shown installed as a different number!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gemini43; 18-Jun-2010 at 11:45 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!