Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

svchost.exe slowing pc.

(!)

Junior Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Beginner
12-Jun-2010, 08:00 PM #1
svchost.exe slowing pc.
Hello

I have a Dell Latitude laptop with XP pro, SP3 and all updates. Recently I found the cpu running at 3-4 % with only the desktop, Avira, and Windows Defender running. Normally cpu is down to 1% with these programs running. I turned off automatic updates and avira and defender but cpu was still at 3-4 %. How can I find out the cause of this? I do not know which of several svchost processes is causing the problem, this one uses about 35Mb with firefox open, 31Mb when I close it. Please ignore my out of date signature, I will change it now
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jun-2010, 08:10 PM #2
This is not a problem really. My CPU runs at 4-5% when I'm doing nothing. During a long idle spell it will go much higher as Windows uses the processor for jobs. A svchost.exe "problem" is usually when the CPU hits 50% or even higher, and even then that could just be Windows at it again. svchost.exe is a host process for many Windows services which may be running at any time.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,540 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Jun-2010, 05:36 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benaround3 View Post
Hello

I have a Dell Latitude laptop with XP pro, SP3 and all updates. Recently I found the cpu running at 3-4 % with only the desktop, Avira, and Windows Defender running. Normally cpu is down to 1% with these programs running. I turned off automatic updates and avira and defender but cpu was still at 3-4 %. How can I find out the cause of this? I do not know which of several svchost processes is causing the problem, this one uses about 35Mb with firefox open, 31Mb when I close it. Please ignore my out of date signature, I will change it now
If your laptop is running slow, there are other reasons for it, and not because the CPU usage is at 3 - 4%.

What's the 7-character "service tag number" on the sticker?

How much RAM does it have?

Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Startup(tab). Have many entries are checked?

If you installed Windows Defender, get rid of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14-Jun-2010, 06:38 AM #4
Thank you

I do appreciate that for a laptop a cpu usage of 3-4 % is not high, it's just that I noticed it was running a little slow and previously to this it always idled at 1-2 %, so I wondered if I could find out what had changed. I have used windows defender on it for over a year.

GLP1W0J

632 MB RAM

4 startup items:

ctfmon (do I need this?)
msmsgs
avgnt
MSASCui

explorer.exe is also running at 1% cpu and I am pretty sure that until recenty it was 0%.
Member with 89 posts.

14-Jun-2010, 07:22 AM #5
What flavallee said.

svchost is not an application running as such. It is an app that hosts a service, hence the name. It might be running the DNS Client service, COM+ etc. If you want to know which service this particular instance hosting then you can download and use Process Explorer. If it's a non-native windows Service (ie one from a 3rd party application) then you could uninstall that app or stop the service manually. I guess it's possible it's hosting a malware service which is slowing the machine down in other ways but I've no reason to suggest that really.

14-Jun-2010, 07:43 AM #6
Thank you
I downloaded Process Explorer and ran it. It described all the 8 svchost tasks as Generic Host Proces for Win32 Services.
Does that mean they are all OK?
I guess I will have to leave it at that for now as long as it doesn't get any slower.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2010, 09:50 AM #7
Service tag number GLP1W0J is assigned to a Dell Latitude X300 laptop. Here is the Dell support and software site that's specific only to that laptop. I highly suggest that you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed.

According to its system information section, it came with 640 MB of RAM pre-installed. It has a 128 MB non-removable module and a 512 MB removable module. The only upgradeable option that it has is to replace the 512 MB module with a 1024 MB(1 GB) module and increase the overall amount of RAM from 640 MB to 1152 MB. A 1024 MB(1 GB) module costs $49.98 plus shipping at this site, just in case you decide you want to max out the RAM in that laptop.

The msmsgs startup entry is associated with the outdated Windows Messenger program that comes as part of the operating system and which hardly noone uses anymore. If you uncheck it, it'll keep rechecking itself unless you disable it permanently within the program. Start the program to open its main window, then click Tools - Options - Preferences. Uncheck the top 4 boxes, then click Apply - OK, then close the program. Now when you uncheck it in the startup list, it'll stay unchecked.

The ctfmon startup entry is associated with text-to-speech that comes as part of Microsoft Office and some other programs. It'll keep rechecking itself if you uncheck it. The only way to permanently disable it is to go into Regional And Language Options in the Control Panel and make some setting changes, which are too complicated to explain, so just leave it alone.

Personally, I would uninstall Windows Defender and replace it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 because it does a better job.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

14-Jun-2010, 02:59 PM #8
Thank you Flavalee, I am very appreciative of the trouble you go to but afraid I may not have time to follow this all up right now. This isn't my main pc, just a backup I use when I go away.
You won't believe this but I actually use windows messenger becaause of it's simplicity. It does all I want and doesn't pester me to keep upgrading etc etc!
I always wondered what ctfmon was and now I know.
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2010, 03:50 PM #9
I didn't think anyone used Windows Messenger anymore. It was replaced years ago by MSN Messenger and then by Windows Live Messenger. I agree that the original version is simple and easy to use and doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" and bloatware of the new version.

Since that's not your main computer and it's just used as a backup, you can make the other changes(if you choose to) at your own pace.

Unless you have any other issue with that computer to address, I guess we're done here.

And I was glad to help.

---------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!