Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP windows XP System Recovery problem!!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jun-2010, 10:50 PM #1
HP windows XP System Recovery problem!!!
I am trying to do a System Recovery to:

HP Pavilion 761c - Windows XP Home edition
512 MB RAM
Hard Drive: Maxtor 4G120J6
CD-R/RW and DVD-ROM drives
Core Version 6.0

I backed everything up and do not mind reinstalling everything with a fresh start.
The computer first started with a boot loop. I would turn the computer on and it would go to the black screen with the options to boot in "Safe Mode", " last config", or Normal. Anything I selected did not matter, it would go back to the same screen asking me to select one of the options "safe mode" etc. So I shut down the computer wanting to do a "r" repair with the System Recovery discs, so I rebooted to the BIOS (F11), changing the order of the boot sequence to CD-R/RW because I have the original HP Recovery CDs (8 discs total). I put disc One in the CD-R drive, selected "r" for repair. I put the 8 discs in as they asked, but once I got to the eighth disc, the comp said " Cannot create User Partition", so I turned the computer off and started over with disc One. This time I selected "f" for full recovery, went through all eight discs, then it said "Problem in Extracting process: xxxx can't be opened! the xxxx are all the files I noticed the computer was copying from the CD-Rs, I think... I took out the eighth disc, shut down and rebooted and now the screen reads "NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl +Alt+Del to restart.

I cannot get the computer to do a System Recovery!! I did some research and looked in the BIOS and did not see a boot selction for HDD, I don't know if this is a problem or an option with this model.

I am starting to think there is a problem with the hard drive, but i can't do a CHKDSK because I can't get to the c: prompt. I cannot get to Windows XP at all... Any thoughts before I throw the computer in the lake????
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,686 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jun-2010, 12:57 AM #2
dont throw the computer in the lake. lol!!!! its very possible the hard drive has gone south. they arent expensive to replace.u might want to somehow have the drive checked to see if it has indeed failed and go from there. if it has get it replaced and then of course u will have to reinstall everything. i hope u have backed up everything important on a cd or a flash drive like your drivers etc so that when u are able to reinstall u will have everything u need. or it might also be the cd drive has failed and isnt reading the discs properly or that the discs are scratched etc.hope this helps u.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,328 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 02:57 AM #3
Have you tried ther following
Quote:
From the Windows XP desktop, click Start , All Programs , and then one of the following options:
NOTE: The following options are for HP computers. Compaq computers will have similar options (for example, Compaq Tools).
  • HP Tools , and then HP PC System Recovery .Hewlett-Packard , hp pavilion pc tools , and hp pc system recovery .PC Help & Tools , and then HP PC System Recovery .
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,923 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 08:39 AM #4
Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion 761c desktop.

Here is the "Solve a problem - System Recovery - Performing a HP system recovery in Windows XP" section.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

23-Jun-2010, 01:02 AM #5
Sorry, I cannot get to windows at all! I have to boot from the CD-R recovery discs and I cannot get past them.

Thanks anyway
Computer Specs

23-Jun-2010, 01:07 AM #6
I have two computers so I took the only internal hard drive out of the broken computer and put it in the working computer. I went to the device manager and looked at the hard drive, everything seems healthy and OK. Because I have the 8 recovery discs, should I completely wipe / format the entire drive then put it back in the broken computer and use the 8 recovery discs to reinstall Windows XP?
Computer Specs

24-Jun-2010, 12:55 AM #7
I took the Hard Drive out of my HP and put it into my other computer, reformatted the drive, then put it back into my HP. Used the recovery discs and ended up woth the same problem, "Problem in Extracting process XXXXX can't be opened!" XXXXX are all the files off the discs. I still cannot get to Windows, need lots of help!!!
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,923 posts.

24-Jun-2010, 08:40 AM #8
I think the problem is with your recovery CD kit. You would know for sure if you had a full version XP CD to boot from. You would be better off doing that anyway and winding up with a pristine clean computer instead of one with all the outdated and useless bloatware that the recovery CD kit would reinstall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hp system recovery, ntldr is missing, problem in extracting, windows xp recovery

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!