Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

100% CPU usage...FIX

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

19-Jul-2010, 07:06 AM #1
100% CPU usage...FIX
Hi all,

I had the 100% CPU problem but have now managed to fix it, so thought I should post how I fixed it as I've seen so many people with the same problem:

My PC (A compaq desktop, XP, SP3) was running a little slow so I decided to reformat it. After I had finished the reformat the problem became a whole lot worse. I then found out that my CPU (SYSTEM process) was running at a constant 99 - 100% so I scanned with all sorts of scanners to no avail. I then ran process explorer (great prog!). Process explorer found that USBPORT.SYS was running at 99%. I then went to the device manager and disabled all usb ports, The CPU dropped instantly. I have a bought a PCI-USB card and am now happily using those PCI-USB ports without any problems.
I hope this helps some of you ;-)

Process Explorer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../bb896653.aspx
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2010, 10:06 AM #2
Your problem is quite common and I've used Process Explorer to discover USBPORT.SYS as the culprit on a few occasions.

Process Explorer is indeed a great tool. I even replaced my Task Manager with it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!