Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Touchpad mouse and pointer locks up

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jul-2010, 10:53 PM #1
Touchpad mouse and pointer locks up
I have an Acer laptop model 7720, Windows XP Pro ,SP3. I also have an external USB connected mouse.

The pointer locks up sometimes right after boot up and begin to use computer, and sometimes I may use the computer for 30 or so minutes before it starts to lock up. The external mouse works perfectly well. Itís only the touchpad mouse that locks up intermittently. I have run CCleaner register cleaner, cache, cookies, etc, cleaner, Easy Cleaner, Disk Cleaner, and Spybot Search and Destroy. I have Nod 32 antivirus. I tried a System Restore. I did a driver update by going to Control Panel > mouse > etc. I have updated Firefox to 3.6.7 version. Nothing has resolved the problem.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
22-Jul-2010, 04:41 AM #2
if only using external mouse try disable the touchpad, see if that helps

sometimes just changing the mouse speed fixes a lot of errors, control panel pointer speed , speed it up a bit apply then slow it down apply then back up a bit apply
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2010, 11:27 AM #3
I started the laptop this morning and had no problems using the browser with the touchpad until 2 hours later. At that time I began using Word documents and that's when I first noticed the locking up began. Can't say for sure if Word is what caused it. I'll have to investigate this again later.
I could not find a disable button using Control panel >mouse. However, I discovered that Acer uses Fn plus F7 to disable the touchpad. I tried that but it did not correct the problem. I tried changing the pointer speed and applying each time but no success. I closed Word, and only the browser is open but the problem persists.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
22-Jul-2010, 12:07 PM #4
there are issues with that area getting hot on some models, try googling it ot your providers forum
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2010, 12:20 PM #5
I thought of that, but the area around the touchpad is barely warm. I have my laptop sitting on top of a cooler that has a fan blowing. Thanks anyway. I'll Google around. I would bet that if I install Ubuntu in my empty D:\ drive that the problem disappears.
Computer Specs

23-Jul-2010, 06:44 PM #6
I thought you would be interested in knowing that I've had my computer on all day today (8 hours) using the browser, Words, etc, and the pointer did not lock up a single time and my cursor doesn't jump around when I'm typing like it used to do. I have done absolutely nothing to fix the problem since my last reply to you yesterday. The problem is obviously not from overheating as we kind of suspected. The only thing that I can logically attribute this to is Microsoft or some other phishing or Keylogging and the culprits read my last reply (post # 5) that I was going to install Ubuntu and they decided to back off the attack since they can't break into Linux to snoop into other people's business. What is your opinion? From the little I read about keylogging, there is a type, kernel keylogger, that is very difficult to get rid of. There is another, clipboard logging, which reminded me, that when I was working with Word, there appeared various times, after closing a Word Doc, a window saying that the clipboard was full and asking if I wanted to save the data for another application, Yes or No? What is your opinion about this sudden turnaround in performance??
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!