Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Error 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0

(!)

Member with 57 posts.

30-Jul-2010, 07:22 PM #1
Error 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0
Hey everyone. I've got another problem. I'm getting a error 0200 message many times when I try to boot my computer.
Here's my details:

x86
Computer age: ~4 years
Acer Aspire 5102 WLMi
OS age: 2 weeks
CPU: AMD Turion 64 x2, 1.6 GHz, 512KB L2 cache
Video card: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
(According to Speccy) Motherboard: Acer Navarro (Socket M2/S1G1), AIT Xpress 200 (RS480) chipset
Power supply: Not even sure where to look on a laptop. Do you just want what's on the black chunk half-way between the plug and the computer itself on the power cord?

I get the message many times when I boot the computer, but not every time. So I've taken to just trying and trying until I get booted. Here's the message I get:

"Phoenix TrustedCore (tm) NB
Copyright 1985-2005 Phoenix Technologies
All rights reserved

System BIOS Version: V1.40
VGA BIOS Version: ATI UMA V008.05I.017.000.18675
CPU0 =AMD Turion (tm) 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-50

640K System RAM Passed
1918M Extended RAM Passed
512 KB L2 Cache
System BIOS Shadowed
Video BIOS Shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: ST9q2p8r1A``````````````
Mouse initalized
ERROR
0200: Failure Fix Disk 0"

Then I get the option to press F1 to continue boot or F2 to load the boot menu. When I press F1, I get this message (white letters on a black background again):

"Intel UNDI PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)

Client MAC ADDR: 00 66 D4 11 5B 4B
GUID: 37363032-3130-3335-3761D4115B4B
DHCP..."

It will add periods after the DHCP for 30 seconds (some sort of scan?). After that, the DHCP goes away and it says:

"PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE Rom"

That was actually the message I used to get. Thinking that my HD was failing, I bought new one. Now I get the exact same message, except the "Fixed Disk 0" has a different string of numbers/letters after it. So I have a brand new hard drive, and I'm still having the problem.

I also tried disabling my RealTek PCI Fast Ethernet Controller. The message changes slightly with that too. I get that first part, but after I hit F1, the screen just stays black with the flashing dash in the upper left corner of the screen.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do or what the problem is?

Last edited by Stonkey; 30-Jul-2010 at 09:33 PM..
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
31-Jul-2010, 04:39 AM #2
very likely the laptop controller on its motherboard and or the actual connectors to HDD being very slightly loose , its a design flaw i fear
try reseating the HDD jiggle it a bit see if tight wedge with tiny bit of foam or something, try booting up with the lappy on its side /tilted one way and the other
Member with 57 posts.

31-Jul-2010, 05:35 PM #3
Is there something (some sort of spray or something) that I could put on the connectors that would help the connection?
It might be tricky to get the connections between the cable and the MB (which I think is more likely where the problem is), but the connectors from the cable to the HD are easily accessible. If I put something on the tips, it probably wouldn't ooze anywhere else. I don't really know though.
Senior Member with 619 posts.

Experience: Seen the elephant
31-Jul-2010, 06:07 PM #4
TV tuner cleaner works fine on things like that. Get some at Radio Shack. It's their Catalog #: 64-4315.

The proper procedure is to unplug the connector and spray the cleaner onto the plug - then reinsert it a few times to allow the friction to clean the contacts.
Member with 57 posts.

31-Jul-2010, 09:35 PM #5
Ok. I'll give that a shot, I guess.
Until I have a chance to actually go out and try it though, does anyone else have any suggestions/ideas?
Senior Member with 619 posts.

Experience: Seen the elephant
31-Jul-2010, 10:04 PM #6
Remove the hard drive and reinsert it a couple time to excercise the contacts. You might get lucky. It's pretty easy to do on a laptop. SEE THIS FOR GUIDANCE

I don't really think this is your problem. It sound a lot like your drive has failed (replacement was bad) or the MOBO is bad.
Member with 57 posts.

03-Aug-2010, 07:19 PM #7
Yeah. I don't really need a guide on how to remove the hard-drive, seeing as I just replaced the thing. I should hope I know how to get it out. I guess I'll contact Newegg about the drive. They should replace it. It that doesn't work, then I guess I'm screwed.
No one else has any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,998 posts.

04-Aug-2010, 09:29 AM #8
You are getting the pxe msg because the system cannot find a hard drive to boot from; it is attempting to boot from a network.

It really is pretty simple; either you have a poor connection, failing controller, or just a failing hard drive. Reseat the hard drive and then run the mfg's diagnostic on the drive. You download this from whomever made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. Use the dos or boot disk version of the software and boot your system from the CD drive.

FWIW I would put my money on a failing controller and or poor connection since this is the second drive to exhibit these problems.
Member with 157 posts.

09-Aug-2010, 08:18 PM #9
Read this link for more about similar problems with Acer laptops:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/8...or-0200-a.html

Might also apply here, might now, but good information either way
Member with 57 posts.

09-Aug-2010, 08:58 PM #10
I'll give that a shot aliasme, thanks.

I've been suspicious of the cable/controller all along, crjdriver. The problem is, I need to get some sort of instruction on how to fix the problem if it is either one of those. Do you have any tutorials on how to do that with an Acer 5100 (preferably with pictures - haha)?
Member with 57 posts.

29-Aug-2010, 11:06 PM #11
Hey aliasme, that seems to be my problem. Would anyone happen to know how to open up an Acer computer so that I can get to the insides? I've taken out every screw I can see, and still something seems to come apart.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!