Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP After April 2014: Question?

(!)

Member with 1,130 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2010, 09:52 PM #1
Windows XP After April 2014: Question?
I have a question,

I have an old late 2004 Dell with Windows XP (SP-3) installed, and it works fine for its age. I keep data backed up, run Windows Update on Automatic, use Avast AV 5.0 and Firefox 3.6 as my browser. I also purchased a Windows XP (SP-2) disk several years ago.

If users should need to reinstall Windows, AFTER no more auto updates for Windows XP after April of 2014, will they STILL be able to manually update Windows by going to MS. website after that time from what is known so far?

Jack
Senior Member with 1,005 posts.

02-Aug-2010, 10:08 PM #2
Microsoft will more than likely release a final service pack for Windows XP before they cease support for it. That's what they have done in the past with other versions of Windows.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,628 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2010, 09:07 AM #3
Microsoft has made it very clear that SP3 was the last major upgrade and that there will be no further service pack released for Windows XP.

If you need to reinstall Windows XP SP3 for some reason after April 2014, the Windows Updates site should still provide the post-SP3 high-priority updates that were released prior to that cutoff date.

----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!