Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP System Restore, Logoff, & Safe Mode Problems

(!)

Member with 76 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 03:26 PM #1
XP System Restore, Logoff, & Safe Mode Problems
I have an old HP Pavillion that in the past six months has started to manifest several problems. The 3 major problems are: Account logoff is very slow, Safe Mode does not work, and System Restore does not work.

Logoff very slow - This used to take about 15-20 seconds. Now it's taking about 90. It moves quickly enough to the screen that says "Saving User Settings" and then sits there for about 1 minute. Then the next screen, the one that lists the user accounts and the shut down line, takes about another 20 seconds before it reads any input from the mouse or keyboard. This just started after an MS update this past weekend

When I try rebooting in Safe Mode, or in Safe Mode with Command Line, I get a message box saying:
"Video Mode not Supported". From the way the border is shaped I suspect this message originates in my monitor, but why is beyond me. Sometimes when the system is shutting down I get a windows message box entitled "SVCNTAUX app error" giving an error code and address inside the box.
I don't know if this is related but sometimes when I start Yahoo Mail it says video mode not supported 1280 x 1024 even tho that's what I'm running. I say use anyway & it works fine.

System Restore won't do a restore. Checkpoint saves seem to work. When I try doing a System Restore the system reboots and the System Restore comes up saying "Your computer cannot be restored to..." and it doesn't matter which restore point I try restoring to. As best I can tell the restore Checkpoints are still being taken and I don't seem to get an error if I try doing a new restore checkpoint.

I'm running Windows XP Media Center v2002 SP3 on an HP Pavillion a1430n w. a 2GHz AMD Dual Processor 3800+ and an Nvidia graphics on the motherboard. I purchased it 51 months ago

Any help on any of these 3 problems would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a hijackthis.log that I took a few minutes ago just in case it helps. Also, for the record, I have AVG, Spyware Doctor, and ZoneAlarms free firewall installed. I ran an AVG and Spyware Doctor check this past weekend and found nothing. Also, since I had it available I ran an AVIRA scan from a bootable CD this past weekend as well and found nothing. Since I couldn't figure out how to update the virus definitions for Avira they were a couple of months old. AVG & Spyware doctor, as well as XP & Office, are all up to date.

BodyworkeR
Attached Files
File Type: log hijackthis.log (15.6 KB, 77 views)
Senior Member with 619 posts.

Experience: Seen the elephant
18-Aug-2010, 03:50 PM #2
Your HJT log has an indication of a Trojan so please click the "Report" button at the bottom right side of your post and request a review by someone in the Virus and Malware forum.
Member with 76 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 10:33 PM #3
Surferdude2, I did as you suggested and used te report buttom to request a review. It would probably help the reviewer and satisfy my curiosity as well if you pointed out what the "indication of a Trojan" is in my HJT log. I'm hopeful that what you saw leads to a quick resolution to my problems.
Thanks.
Senior Member with 619 posts.

Experience: Seen the elephant
18-Aug-2010, 11:12 PM #4
It's probably a false alarm but nobody is allowed to help you due to the rules here.

I ran your log through a couple of checking sites and they flagged an area so I decided to pass you off. When they turn you loose, if you still have other issues, we can pick it up from there.
Member with 76 posts.

24-Aug-2010, 12:38 PM #5
Surferdede2, No one ever answered me when I clicked the report button to request a review. So I collected the additional information the opening post in the malware forum asks for and created a new thread in the malware forum with the same title as this one.
One thing I didn't mention in the post here is that I've been getting a Blue Screen of Death on this machine once every 4 to 6 weeks since it was new. To me this isnt really much of a problem. But when I tried running GMER I got this same BSOD in 3 of my 6 attempts to get GMER to run. Microsoft says this may be because of a bad video driver. I wonder if this may be related to the "Video Mode not Supported" box I get when I try booting in save mode.
I'll post here again when the malware people turn me loose.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
logoff, safe mode, system restore, video

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!