Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

ASK.com toolbar Removal Error

(!)

Member with 189 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Aug-2010, 04:10 PM #1
ASK.com toolbar Removal Error
Hello All:

I am trying to remove the ASK.com toolbar and when going into the CONTROL PANEL and trying to remove it there, I am given the message that I should close all INTERNET windows. I have no windows open and then it tells me FATAL ERROR ON INSTALLATION...

How do I get rid of this thing?

Scott
Member with 1,122 posts.

Experience: joan
23-Aug-2010, 04:16 PM #2
ask.com toolbar
Why do I receive an error message requesting that I close all browser windows? I don’t see any open browser windows.

In order to uninstall the toolbar, all IE and Firefox browser windows must be closed. If you are receiving an error message window like this one when attempting to uninstall the Ask Toolbar please close all browser windows.

If it appears that all browser windows are closed, it is possible that there are hidden windows running in the background. Use the following steps to close any open browser windows that may not be visible:

1. Press 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' on your keyboard, then click on the 'Task Manager' button.
2. Click on the Applications tab and look for the IE or Firefox logo. Close any hidden windows that may be blocking the toolbar uninstall.
3. A warning message will pop up asking you to confirm your choice. Click on the Yes button to close the browser.

Once you have completed the steps above, please return to the Add/Remove Programs section of your computer's control panel, select Ask Toolbar (or partner toolbar name) from the list, and then click uninstall.

joan
Member with 189 posts.

23-Aug-2010, 04:17 PM #3
I have done the above and there is nothing in the APPS tab that shows a FIREFOX or IE is open...
Member with 1,122 posts.

Experience: joan
23-Aug-2010, 04:30 PM #4
maybe you could try revo uninstaller

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

joan
Member with 189 posts.

23-Aug-2010, 04:32 PM #5
trying that now...
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

23-Aug-2010, 04:38 PM #6
ScottFL386, If you can't get rid of it using the revo uninstaller you may want to try the Ask Toolbar Remover at the link below.

http://www.dkszone.net/uninstall-rem...oolbar-remover

Tufenuf
Member with 189 posts.

23-Aug-2010, 04:53 PM #7
The uninstaller did not work...attempting the REVO program now
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

23-Aug-2010, 04:55 PM #8
ScottFL386, Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? Which browser do you normally use?

Edited to add: If you're using IE8 click Tools>Manage Add-ons and under Toolbars and Extensions hilite the Ask Toolbar and click the Remove button. I think that IE7 also has that feature.

Tufenuf

Last edited by Tufenuf; 23-Aug-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,261 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Aug-2010, 04:59 PM #9
If no luck with the uninstallers, we might be able to remove Ask's remnants manually or with the help of HijackThis...

Please click here to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

• Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

• Why don't you just Google it?
• If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!