Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Userinit.exe problems

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Sep-2010, 06:21 AM #1
Exclamation Solved: Userinit.exe problems
I support 2 schools both have the same problem on different machines 1 school uses desktops the other laptops all different makes and models. All XP Pro machines running SP3. Error checking seems to enable me to log on as administrator (right click local c: drive, properties, tools, error checking tick both boxes run after reboot) this is done in safe mode. All windows updates installed (except annoying ones like windows search 4.0 etc) when the problem occurs I get "windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. Detail - insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" followed by "userinit.exe - Application error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000012d)." then the system hangs and i have to force shut down. This has happened after the error checking has completed, logged in as normal and reboot and the problem comes back! I've ran, MRT (Microsoft malicious removal tool), Symantec, AVG and malware bytes and found a big fat nothing!
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,832 posts.

23-Sep-2010, 08:43 AM #2

27-Sep-2010, 09:21 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom010 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion however we're not using fast user switching as the machines are all joined to a domain.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

28-Sep-2010, 05:08 PM #4
My Google search revealed that there are other people experiencing the same errors and the culprit is Symantec Antivirus. Maybe caused by bad definitions released around 9/10/2010 as that's when it happened to us. We had five PCs in our company with this problem and were able to fix them by uninstalling and reinstalling the program. What I did was boot into safe mode and rename all of the Symantec folders, then reboot as usual. The PCs then ran normally. I renamed the folders back to their original names and uninstalled Symantec Antivirus. I then reinstalled the program and updated the virus definitions. So far, no problems.

Mike Fields
PC Technician
Computer Specs

28-Sep-2010, 05:22 PM #5
Norton again, figures...

29-Sep-2010, 12:04 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs51762 View Post
My Google search revealed that there are other people experiencing the same errors and the culprit is Symantec Antivirus. Maybe caused by bad definitions released around 9/10/2010 as that's when it happened to us. We had five PCs in our company with this problem and were able to fix them by uninstalling and reinstalling the program. What I did was boot into safe mode and rename all of the Symantec folders, then reboot as usual. The PCs then ran normally. I renamed the folders back to their original names and uninstalled Symantec Antivirus. I then reinstalled the program and updated the virus definitions. So far, no problems.

Mike Fields
PC Technician
Kudos to you my friend, that’s when the problem was found! It was strange that only a few machines were affected by this, I guess the other machines weren't on long enough for Symantec to roll out the updates I guess norton realised because no other issues have occured since this. This whole saga has reaffirmed my belief that Norton is pants. What's your opinion on Endpoint?
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2010, 12:27 PM #7
Quote:
What's your opinion on Endpoint?
I don't want anything to do with Symantec, whatever the software.

Symantec creates so many conflicts with other applications, is hell to remove from a computer, even with the Norton Removal Tool, and its effectiveness is quite average. I've seen soooo many infected computers on this forum, that were using Symantec as their antivirus protection...

• Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

• If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.

29-Sep-2010, 05:43 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom010 View Post
I don't want anything to do with Symantec, whatever the software.

Symantec creates so many conflicts with other applications, is hell to remove from a computer, even with the Norton Removal Tool, and its effectiveness is quite average. I've seen soooo many infected computers on this forum, that were using Symantec as their antivirus protection...

what alternatives would you suggest? bear in mind the reason we use symantec is because its provided for free
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2010, 06:04 PM #9
ESET's NOD32 (my personal favorite)

Kaspersky

BitDefender

Free ones:

Avira Antivir

MSSE

AVG

Avast
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
malware, profiles, userinit.exe, virus

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!