Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Blue screen: My computer won't boot up completely

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Oct-2010, 02:15 PM #1
Solved: Blue screen: My computer won't boot up completely
When I try to turn on my computer, it gets to the Windows screen, before the Desktop, but then I get a blue screen that says this:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

----

And that's it. I called Geek Squad, and it is their impression that something did not download correctly and it corrupted my OS. Instead of rushing to them, giving them my computer, and shelling out a lot of dough, I went into Safe Mode on my computer, which comes up just fine. I backed up all the files I wanted to, or at least backed up all I could on what USB drives I have.

My next plans of attack are Error Check, and if that does not work, System Restore to a date prior to when I spotted the problem; that is, to a date when I know it was still working. I am unfamiliar with how these two, Error Check and System Restore, work; however, they have been recommended to me. I would really like to get my computer running again without having to hand it over to anyone to have it fixed, if at all possible.

So is Error Check, then System Restore, a good idea? If so, could anyone give me any guidance about them? Also, if you have any other suggestions, please let me know! I would be forever grateful!

Here's my computer's info:

Dell XPS laptop M140

If there is anything else you need to know about my computer's information, please let me know. Thanks again!
Trusted Advisor with 16,287 posts.

05-Oct-2010, 03:57 PM #2
In safe mode - check any programs your recently downloaded and remove it - them.
Try a system restore - choose date before the problem.

If the above does not help..
Do you have the original install Cd?
Boot from the Xp install Cd...when prompted press [R]
Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
When prompted for password.
Press Enter.
Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
Window will fix errors.
When fininshed.
Type Exit
And press Enter.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

08-Oct-2010, 02:22 PM #3
Okay, so I went into Safe Mode, and I do not have any programs that I recently downloaded exactly. See I have a handful of programs that protect my computer (a mistake I need to remedy whenever, if ever, I get my computer working again.) The programs are AdAware, Spybot, and SpywareBlaster. Whenever I am online, I update these programs, and on the last day that my computer worked, I did just that. However, SpywareBlaster had a new version, so I downloaded that. I >thought< that could be the problem, but when I went into Safe Mode and removed that program, that did not solve the problem. I shut down and tried to start up the computer again, but I still got the same blue screen.

So, I went onto your step #2. I did a System Restore for a date I knew was before the problem. Unfortunately, that did not work either. I proceeded to take off Spybot, which like I said, I had updated the last day my computer was working properly. I was able to remove it, but could not remove AdAware. The only way to completely remove it is to successfully restart the computer, which I cannot since I keep getting the same blue screen.

I don't know if any of these programs, and their updates from that last day my computer worked properly, are at the root of the problem. The only other downloads I can think of from that day are updates from Symantec/Live Update and the updates I receive automatically from Microsoft.

Should I try an earlier date on System Restore? I really don't think it'll work, since I'm absolutely sure of the last date of when my computer was working, and I did a System Restore for before then.

And no, I do not have the original install CD. Is there any way to get it?

Is an Error Check of my C:\ drive a good idea? Do you think that'll fix the problem?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Is there any way to keep what I have on my computer or will I have to start from scratch?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Oct-2010, 03:54 PM #4
You can do a chkdsk without the system disk by:

1. Start > run
2. type in cmd
3. enter "chkdsk /r" - it will ask you if it should run on the next reboot, select "y".

If that doesn't work, you can open up "My Computer" then right click on your C:\ drive and select properties at the bottom of the pulldown. Click on the Tools tab, then click on Error Checking. Ensure that both checkboxes are checked then hit ok. It will then do a chkdsk /r on the next reboot.

Let us know if that helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

12-Oct-2010, 02:08 PM #5
Alright. Here's what happened.

I could not do the chkdsk in the first way because in Safe Mode, there is no "Run" in the Start Menu. However, I was able to do the chkdsk via the Error Check of the C:\ drive. It took awhile, BUT amazingly, the computer was finally able to boot up all the way! I got to the desktop successfully!

From there, the first thing I was prompted to do was to report the error to Microsoft. I thought that that, in this case, was extremely important, so I connected to the internet (I have dial-up), and reported the Error. I have all the information, or as much as I could get, from the Error Report. It listed a lot of codes, and it identified two files that were the alleged culprits. If anyone wants me to post the codes and the file names, please let me know.

Then, once that was done, I disconnected from the internet, and created a Restore Point. I figured that, obviously, the Error Check had fixed things, and whatever state the computer was now in was a good one. So I created a Restore Point.

From there I was going to try and remove AdAware, but I figured I should turn the computer off and try the next day. However, I thought >if anything<, I should at least turn it off and start it back up again to see if everything truly was okay.

NOPE. I got the blue screen again. As much as I can recall, it was the same blue screen. I tried to boot it up again, selecting "Last Known Good Configuration," but it did not work either. Just got the blue screen again. So what's the deal here? I don't understand.

I had a few ideas, but I did not want to proceed without input from people on this board. I thought perhaps I should try System Restore and try to restore the computer to the Restore Point I created. Another idea I had was to do another Error Check/chkdsk, and >if< it works again and I can get to my desktop, to take off Adware, or to at least try. I also thought perhaps, if via another Error Check I can get to the desktop again, I should do a Disk Cleanup. I don't know if that would fix the problem or not. Shortly before this blue screen problem happened, I had posted here for help on Disk Cleanup anyway. (See this post: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...k-cleanup.html) Would another Error Check really help?

So what is the problem? I really want this to be solved. I thought after I had done that Error Check, and the computer booted up properly, getting to the Desktop, all was well. What did I do wrong? Why did the Error Check work, and then once I shut down the computer and tried to boot it up again, it was as if the Error Check never happened? Please help!
Trusted Advisor with 16,287 posts.

12-Oct-2010, 04:28 PM #6
You need to try chkdsk /r

Boot from the Xp install Cd...when prompted press [R]
Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
When prompted for password.
Press Enter.
Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
Window will fix errors.
When fininshed.
Type Exit
And press Enter.

If no joy - repeat the above and type
chkdsk /f

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

13-Oct-2010, 01:57 PM #7
In my previous post...I said I did the chkdsk/r via Error Check. I also have mentioned in one of my posts that I do not have the XP Install CD.

Also, how would I do chkdsk / f?

So...what do I do now? I explained all that I have tried up until now in my previous post in as much detail as I could. Can anyone help me?
Computer Specs
Member with 138 posts.

13-Oct-2010, 02:12 PM #8
/r with not do anything for you, /f with attempt to fix any errors detected on the hard drive if it's a software issue.

WindowsKey + R on your keyboard should bring up the Run Prompt when in Safe Mode.
- chkdsk /f c: (the C: is optional)
- You should get a message stating "unable to run chkdsk because drive is currently locked, do you want to run at next start up?"
- Type Y

This has fixed software corruption for me in the past.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

15-Oct-2010, 02:44 PM #9
Thanks so much for your help! However, again, the problem is not solved.

Here's what happened when I tried chkdsk /f.

First off all, it stated something slightly different when I typed in chkdsk /f than what you have above posted, so I thought it might be helpful to post it (the difference is mainly in the locked/cannot lock discrepancy): "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

Then, off course, chkdsk /f did run at the restart, but as I watched it go through what it had to, I knew that it had done all of this when I did Error Check, so I had a feeling that it wasn't going to work ultimately. I was right. The same thing happened like when I did the Error Check. After chkdsk /f was done, I was able to get to my desktop. I created a Restore Point, then I dialed up to the internet to file another Error Report. After the Error Report was done, a window for the internet popped up and then disappeared. Later when I checked the Event Viewer in Safe Mode, it reported, "Not enough storage is available to process this command." I thought I might mention this if it would be any help at all to help me solve this problem. Anyway, let's go back - I'm at the desktop after chkdsk /f, have created a Restore Point, and have filed an Error Report. Sometime in all of this, Symantec AntiVirus pops up a small window in the right hand corner, alerting me to the fact that AutoDetect is Disabled. Why? I proceeded to enable it because I never saw that before. Next, I removed SpywareBlaster and AdAware. Then, I checked the files that the Error Report listed as being the problems. (With the last Error Report from my last long post, here is what they were: C:\DOCUME~1\My Name\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8f9a.dir\Mini100610-01.dmp and C:\DOCUME~1\My Name\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8f9a.dir\sysdata.xml AND this time, the Error Report had these listed: C:\DOCUME~1\My Name\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9d3e.dir00 and C:\DOCUME~1\My Name\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9d3e.dir00\sysdata.xml) There are multiple Mini dumps that I believe have been created every time the blue screen has come up; therefore, there are quite a few. I then went on to check my Start Up stuff, thinking perhaps there was something in my Startup that was causing the problem. There were two programs listed that I was unsure about: %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0-k AND there was also a blank one, which I later found out in Safe Mode is called "SpySweeper," but I do not think I could locate it anywhere on my computer. Again, I am just listing all this information in hopes that something in all this will jump out at someone, being a signal to the problem.

I also noted in the Start Up information a curious option. I do not have this one checked, but perhaps if I selected this, the problem would be solved?: DiagnosticSetup - load basic devices and services only - instead of Normal Setup, which would load everything. Maybe?

After all that, I shut down my computer and restarted. No luck - same blue screen again, so...

What is the problem? Since the computer works in Safe Mode and works after chkdsk...what is the problem? It is not as if it is not working at all. What am I doing wrong? Please see my previous posts for the entire information on the problem and all I have tried and my questions. (e.g. the blue screen, Error Reports, possibly trying a Disk Cleanup, etc.)

Why does my computer work after chkdsk and then it doesn't work again after that? Will I have to run Error Check/chkdsk everytime in Safe Mode to get to the desktop? Why is it functioning that way anyway?

Based on what I mentioned earlier in this post, should I try to remove Symantec? It seems to be not working. Perhaps an update from Symantec is what caused all this mess. When I was in Safe Mode after I got the blue screen again, I went to the Event Viewer and the error for Symantec read: Error: The environment is incorrect. - What does that mean?

As if I have not given you enough information, here's more. After again being disappointed after another hopeful remedy and getting that dreaded blue screen again, as you may have been able to surmise, I went into the Event Viewer and went searching for any information I could get about this problem. Under the Event Viewer, and then under System, I found many interesting things. Every time the blue screen comes up, the computer notes it in the Event Viewer as: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck...The bugcheck was: And then it lists codes, which are always different for each instance of the blue screen. It also adds, "A dump was saved in C:\WINDOWS\MiniDump," the same Mini Dump stuff I mentioned earlier in this post. The files I find in C:\WINDOWS\Mini Dump - should I get rid of them in Safe Mode?

Onward. Then, the next event in the Event Viewer is "The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning." Then, "The DNS Client service depends on the TCP\IP Protocol Driver Service which failed to start because" of the same error. Then, "The TCP\IP NetBios Helper service depends on the AFD service which failed to start because," of the same thing. Then, "The IPSEC services depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because," of the same error again. Finally, there is, "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AFD, APPDRV, Fips, intelppm, IPSEC, MRxSmb, NetBIOS, NetBT, RasAcd, Rdbss, SAVRT, SymTDI, Tcpip" Maybe it has to do with a Microsoft Net update?

On later dates in the Event Viewer, as I have been trying different ways to fix my computer with you all, the Event Viewer also listed a new Error message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Lbd.

A final idea - should I do an Error Check/chkdsk over and over again, until it does not find anything? What I mean is, I would try not to allow the blue screen to come up - I would order a chkdsk in Safe Mode, then I would presumably get to the desktop as I have the last two times, then while on my desktop, order another chkdsk, and on and on until it comes up with no error. I only thought of that because of how it seems that every time the blue screen comes up, it creates more bad files and the cycle seems endless.

HELP! I am sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as I can, especially for someone who is not quite sure what I should be looking for. Hopefully, I made some sense, and someone can help me! Please!

Last edited by ConfusedMC; 15-Oct-2010 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Typed up something incorrectly.
Computer Specs
Member with 138 posts.

15-Oct-2010, 03:01 PM #10
Sounds like you just need to reload Windows to start from scratch from the overwhelming amount of issues.

< moderator removed >

Contact Dell directly see if they will ship it to you if can't find an iso file. Got to be cheaper then what Geek Squad will charge to reload PC for you (never used Geek Squad before but heard there really expensive.)

Before reloading XP make sure have Chipset & LAN drivers saved somewhere.

Last edited by dvk01; 15-Oct-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: remove bad advice
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

15-Oct-2010, 03:23 PM #11
I will look into that, thanks!

However, were none of my suggestions good ideas? What I mean is, isn't there anything I can do where I would not have to start from scratch? Plus, there is another post floating around where the person has the same exact blue screen problem as me! (except that I can actually get into Safe Mode) :

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...ng-bootup.html

Would any of those suggestions work for me, too?

Last edited by ConfusedMC; 15-Oct-2010 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Wasn't Specific Enough
Computer Specs
Member with 138 posts.

15-Oct-2010, 03:46 PM #12
Thought I already suggested this must be thinking of another post:
This will turn off all background programs that start when you login.

from RUN command type MSCONFIG
- Check selective start
- Services tab
-- check hide Microsoft Services
-- click Disable All
- Startup tab
-- click Disable ALL
- Apply & Reboot

If that works, means one of the startup programs or services is causing the issue.
** NOTE: IMPORTANT TO CLICK HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES FIRST IN SERVICES TAB. DISABLING MICROSOFT SERVICES WILL PREVENT WINDOWS FROM LOADING.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

19-Oct-2010, 02:09 PM #13
Alright. Here's the update.

I tried the startup suggestion. It didn't work.

So I went back into Safe Mode, and you know what? When I did MSCONFIG and went to the Startup tab, dumprep 0 -k was checked again, although it was unchecked as per the above instructions. Why is that?

And why did System Restore not work when I tried it? Was it because it was for a date that was more than a week ago? There was one error message I found about System Restore. It stated: "The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error "0xC0000043" while processing the file "SAVRT" on the volume "HarddiskVolume 2." It has stopped monitoring the volume." --- Could that be the problem? I mean, I thought that System Restore only monitored C:\. This Error was logged for before I saw the blue screen for the first time.

Perhaps if I logged in as Administrator instead of myself...or doesn't that matter? My personal settings have nothing to do with this?

Oh - in MSCONFIG, under BOOT.INI Boot Options, there is /SAFEBOOT, /NOGUIBOOT, /BOOTLOG, /BASEVIDEO, /SOS, /MAXNEM =, /NUMPROC =, /PCILOCK, /DEBUG. Would setting the boot up to one of these help?

About Symantec...should I try to use it to scan my computer after an Error Check, when I get to my desktop?

I sure have other questions and suggestions, but... I just think this can be solved without reloading Windows. Safe Mode works, after all. If it didn't, or had problems...oh, I don't know. Please help! I appreciate all the help, suggestions, and patience so far!
Computer Specs
Member with 138 posts.

19-Oct-2010, 02:36 PM #14
I do not know what "dumprep 0 -k" is, if you find programs activated after you disable it that is behavior of some viruses.
I've had success using Malwarebytes to cure a few systems. Can find it in Google search.

Can't help with the system restore issue,
I have system restore turned off on my system.
Only tried it a few times over a year ago and everytime it failed.

It shouldn't matter if you logged into the admin account, both should have full access to the computer.

I have never messed with the / commands in the boot.ini file.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

19-Oct-2010, 02:44 PM #15
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...ng-bootup.html

Would post #2 work for me? I have a SOFTWARE file and a software.sav file, but that one is dated for 8/11/04. The SOFTWARE file though...it doesn't say .bak; it only states that it is a FILE. Should I fiddle with it, just as Saga Lout suggests in post #2?

I have Malwarebytes and used it to scan my entire system in Safe Mode. Should I do an Error Check again, then when/if I get to my desktop, run Malwarebytes then? I mean, the problem is clearly not present in Safe Mode, so I would have to run Malwarebytes when I get to my desktop, right?

Thanks again so much, Mhouser. You have been a great help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!