Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to stop Automatic Download

(!)

Member with 63 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Oct-2010, 09:47 PM #1
How to stop Automatic Download
Hi,
Every time, I switch on my Broadband connection, something will automatically start to download into my computer. Every time approximately 60 to 70 MB is downloded in to my computer.

How can check what is being downloaded into my computer.

Is there any method to stop all “Automatic Downloads” including all updates.

Recently neither I have downloaded anything from web nor I have installed anything from CD.

I am using Windows XP 3 (Professional)
Computer Specs
Member with 321 posts.

06-Oct-2010, 10:44 PM #2
Hi Smuralidhar,
How are you recognizing that there is something downloading? Is this just through looking at your internet bill? or are you seeing some kind of window pop up when you turn the internet on?

For me, or anyone else to be able to help you out, we will need to see what is running in the background on your computer.

Download and install this free program: Hijack-This
Once you download and install it, run a scan with it.
When the scan is finished, it should have a log that opens up in note pad.
Copy and paste that log into here for us to look at.
Computer Specs
Member with 321 posts.

06-Oct-2010, 10:51 PM #3
Another possibility, is that "Automatic Updates" for windows is turned on.
To turn off "Automatic Updates" for windows, do the following:

Click start,
Click control panel,
Make sure control panel is in "classic view". To do this, look to the left of the control panel window. If it is not in classic view already, there will be a clickable icon on the left that says "switch to classic view",
Once you have control panel in the "classic view", click on the icon that says "Automatic Updates" below it,
This will open the "Automatic Updates" Window.

In the "Automatic Updates" Window, there are 4 options to choose from:
Quote:
"Automatic (Recommended)"
"Download Updates for me, but let me choose when to install them"
"Notify me, but don't automatically download or install them"
"Turn off automatic updates"
You need to choose one of the last two on the list. This will stop it from downloading updates automatically.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,241 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Oct-2010, 12:03 PM #4
Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Automatic Updates(tab), change the setting to "Notify me but don't automatically download and install them", then click Apply - OK.

From now on, the only time the yellow shield will appear in the taskbar is when you're alerted to new updates that need to be installed. You can then pick you own time when you want to download and install them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There's also the possibility that your anti-virus program or some other program is set to automatically scan for and download updates when your internet connection is active.

--------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!