Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: XP Home Edition OEM Repair Install

(!)

Senior Member with 836 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Oct-2010, 05:23 PM #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win7x64Hater View Post
(Im buyin a Mac!!) ;-)
Or switch to Linux.
I suggest that you image the installation before you try the repair, no matter which cd you decide to try. Most of the time repair installs work ok without a hitch, but as you probably already know they sometimes don`t. I don`t think i`ve ever done one and not had at least one program not work afterwards, and sometimes windows doesn`t. If you image it and things go snafu, you can at least return it to the current state, and all your data, settings, favorites, programs.....ect will still be there. And restoring the image will take alot less time than reinstalling everything from scratch.
Win7x64Hater Win7x64Hater is offline Win7x64Hater has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Oct-2010, 05:06 AM #17
Ok. After a long time and a heap of head ache this is what i have learnt: BUY A MAC!!! Problem solved.

But to be a bit more to the point in regards to this issue i had:
1st: DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM CHINA!! I did. Big mistake.
2nd: DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM CHINA!!!!!!
3rd: To repair an OEM, you will need the disc that came with the PC or an equal type. i.e XP Home OEM can only be repaired by XP Home OEM or a retail version of XP Home. Simple.No other disc will do it!!! Not even one from China. Ha!.

(I did not try to use a Re-installation Disc)

I spoke to Microsoft and many other experts on this subject and the best response was from Microsoft. They said what i have written above. I was also informed by many experts on line and in person that if the PC is that far gone, as it was, a Repair Install would only make things worse. And it did! A clean install would be the way to go.

This PC was so far gone that it was to the point that a Repair Install would not and could not fix the issues. So after retrieving the data from all 4 profiles and copying them into separate folders on another HDD, i tried a Repair Install from a Genuine XP Home SP3 OEM Disc. (I checked with Microsoft. It was genuine). The Repair Install Did Not repair the issues that this PC had. After the Repair Install, things seem to have gotten worse, as they said it would, and without going in to too much detail here, it just was worse. I couldn't even connect to the net.

My conclusion:
Repair Installs Can Not solve All problems only a Clean Install can and will.
Only Use Genuine Products.
Don't Buy O/S from China.
Do research for your self.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Thank you all for your input, suggestions and ideas. They were very helpful.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Last edited by Win7x64Hater; 28-Oct-2010 at 05:16 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
oem, repair, repair install, xp sp1, xp sp3

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!