Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Stuck in 4 bit with only 600 800 Res, Why?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Oct-2010, 07:16 PM #1
Exclamation Solved: Stuck in 4 bit with only 600 800 Res, Why?
Okay so I was doing tech work for a friend (they just wanted it updated and error checked) who's machine has XP. So i start working on it with the first step of installing updates and restarting so I install about 8 or 9 update (with the microsoft update cheker thing) and then let the computer restart but when it turns back on the colors were all messed up looking so I figured that maybe one of the updates just turn the color bit down so I went to turn it back up but it won't let me and it also has the screen resolution down at 600 X 800 . The other thing that is weird is that when i boot in safe mode the screen is back to normal Now i cant tell you the for sure what the display driver name is cause i currently have the computer running diagnostics but I am sure enough to bet money that it was the Nvidia GeForce 4 mx 440 with AGP8X I could really use some help because I am going crazy trying to figure this out Any ideas? Please and thank you
Moderator with 63,245 posts.

14-Oct-2010, 07:19 PM #2
you need to reinstall the driver for the graphics card. You should be able to get it from the website of the mfg.
Computer Specs

14-Oct-2010, 07:26 PM #3
Okay well here's the weird part at first i just went into driver management and tried updating it but it said I have the latest drivers. So then i went to the Nvidia site and found the driver myself but as soon as i got to the web page were i would download the driver the web browser crashed (I tried it about 10 or more times and it was always the same.) so should i try uninstalling the driver and then go from there or do you think the computer has some sort of virus?
Computer Specs

14-Oct-2010, 07:28 PM #4
And by the way I thought it might have a virus of some sort so thats why it's going through diagnostics to see if removing any viruses will help the problem.
Computer Specs

15-Oct-2010, 04:16 PM #5
Okay well for anyone else who reads this it turns out the computer had a ton of viruses that were making the internet crash but once i got ride of them the internet ran fine and i update my graphics drive manually and everything went back to normal. Well hope that helps anyone else who reads this. I am now closing this thread and marking it as solved. Goodbye
Moderator with 63,245 posts.

15-Oct-2010, 04:51 PM #6
Yup......viruses will mess up all sorts of things. Thanks for the update and for marking it solved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
4 bit, 600 x 800, driver display, nvidia, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!