Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP won't connect to wireless

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

21-Oct-2010, 01:07 AM #1
Exclamation XP won't connect to wireless
Hi,
My dell mini is running windows xp and shows a full signal for my wireless network. It will not connect to the internet via any browser (internet explorer, mozilla or google chrome). I have disabled my firewall, repaired my wireless connection, disconnected and reconnected to my wireless using the password and restarted my laptop in 'safe' and 'debugging' modes to try and remedy the problem. Nothing works. But skype will still connect and work on a unsecure wireless linksys signal. Help please!?!?!?!?!

boydle1353
p.s. I have no CD/DVD drive to reinstall drivers.
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Oct-2010, 01:10 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydle1353 View Post
Hi,
My dell mini is running windows xp and shows a full signal for my wireless network. It will not connect to the internet via any browser

Go into Control Panel>Internet Options>Connection tab>LAN button and make sure there's a tick in "Automatically detect settings" and no ticks inthe Proxy boxes. Click Apply and OK your way out. Restart IE and see if that helped.
toddlerstomper toddlerstomper is offline toddlerstomper has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 238 posts.

Experience: I know my computer stuff.
21-Oct-2010, 01:14 AM #3
Hello and welcome to TSG

Give this program a shot friend http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.ph...302c260093894b

Here is a tutorial for winsock xp:
http://www.techiequest.com/winsock-x...ritical-files/

Good luck with your issue!!!!

21-Oct-2010, 01:15 AM #4
thanks for such a quick response! though I have already set it to 'detect settings automatically', it detects the full strength signal but when I open IE it says, 'cannot display the webpage'...

21-Oct-2010, 01:20 AM #5
I'm not sure how to execute winsock xp on my mini as I am using another computer to try and get answers on how to fix my laptop. should i download the program and transfer it using a flash drive?
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Oct-2010, 01:26 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydle1353 View Post
I'm not sure how to execute winsock xp on my mini as I am using another computer to try and get answers on how to fix my laptop. should i download the program and transfer it using a flash drive?
You could open a Command Prompt then type netsh winsock reset catalog then hit Enter. You'll need a restart after that but if Skype can connect, I don't suspect Winsock too much.

21-Oct-2010, 01:30 AM #7
thanks i'll try that...
toddlerstomper toddlerstomper is offline toddlerstomper has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 238 posts.

Experience: I know my computer stuff.
21-Oct-2010, 01:33 AM #8
Yes transfer via flash drive!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
browser error help, cannot display web page, dell mini, windows xp, wireless won't connect

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!