Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

netbook wont go past windows screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Oct-2010, 06:43 PM #1
netbook wont go past windows screen
Hey how's it going. When I try to boot My Acer laptop with Win Xp, it gives me a black screen after the windows screen. It does give me an opyions to go to safe mode, but when i choose safe mode, the somp just hangs and it never gets to the welcome screen. Choosing last known config doesn't work either. About a little over a month ago, I got this comp repaired and they put win prof on it, erasing the win version that originally was installed on the laptop, so I don't have any backup cd's or anything. I tried using ULtimate boot Cd on a usb drive to at least give me options to repair the win software, but even though I have the comp set to boot off of the usb, it continues to boot off the HD. Not only that, when the flash drive is plugged in, the bios screen freezes and so does the computer. Anyone have any suggestions on getting past these issues. I can't really afford to get this comp repaired again. Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

ACER Aspire 1 netbook
Win xp prof
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,316 posts.

24-Oct-2010, 07:47 PM #2
When they repaired it last time and installedXP professional what was the need for a repair then please.
If it was by any chance the same my advice is to go back to the repairer
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2010, 08:04 PM #3
Hey Macboat! thanks for replying back. I had to talke it to the repair shop the first time 1. because of the power supply and 2. because the computer wouldnt boot past the bios screen. I would just get a black screeen with a cursor blinking in upper left hand corner. It would'nt even get to the windows screen.
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2010, 10:01 PM #4
Am I correct in saying that this notebook does not have a DVD/CD drive.
When the black screen appears press Ctrl Alt Delete.
If Task Manager appears.
Click New Task, that is New Task, bottom right on the general tab.
Type there "Explorer.exe" without quote marks.
Click OK.
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2010, 10:29 PM #5
Hey MAc, yep ,there is no cd drive on this laptop. I did what you suggested but nothing comes up on the screen when I press ctrl alt del. Just darkness.
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2010, 09:53 AM #6
Black screen after Windows screen.
So you see the Windows loading bar. That completes and then it goes to a black screen is that correct.
If not please explain at what stage it black screens ad is there a white cursor on the screen usually top left.
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2010, 02:07 PM #7
Yes Sir,that's correct. The windows loading bar complets and then it just goes to a black screen, no welcome screen. And the black screen doesn't have a cursor on it at all.
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2010, 03:58 PM #8
Go to the BIOS screen. I do not know the BIOS layout on that computer but somewhere will be LOAD BIOS defaults or similar.
Do that pls.
Whilst there check that the setting is still to boot from USB.
Hope you do not mind me pointing out but I have no way of knowing your level of knowledge.
Did you exit and save settings when you configured usb boot.

Unless I am wrong, making UBCD4Win on a flash pen is quite involved - how did you do this please.
UBCD4win is an ISO file. so how did you get that to a flash drive. If you simply copied the files from the burnt ISO to the flash drive it will NOT work.

Last edited by Macboatmaster; 25-Oct-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2010, 04:48 PM #9
Hey Mac, no I don't mind at all. I understand you don't know my comp smarts, that's cool.lol. Along with the ISO file I downloaded a usb program,(i don't reme,ber the name off hand, I think it was usb installer or something like that) that searched for the iso file ,converted it , and then put it on the usb drive it can be bootable. I did what you said to do in the bios. I put in the usb flash and the comp just hangs at the bios/acer screen. If I take it out, it runs again but again doesn't get past the windows load screen. Conversly, if I put in another flash drive without the UBCD, computer doesn't hang, except for when it hits the win screen.
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2010, 05:26 PM #10
Pls post the exact model of the acer aspire one netbook.
How much is on the computer that is vital for you to save.
I am not going to suggest a reinstall but lets try and recover your personal data if you need it.
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2010, 10:40 PM #11
Hey mac, what's going on. Sorry I disappeared, I had some issues to take care of. Well as for personal data, at this point I don't really care about it, it's minimal. I just want to get the computer running fresh again. Any suggestions you have, I'll gladly try.
Computer Specs

27-Oct-2010, 08:38 AM #12
Quote:
Pls post the exact model of the acer aspire one netbook.
From my post 10
Computer Specs

27-Oct-2010, 02:25 PM #13
The model is KAV10, part of the Acer aspire one series. On their website this model goes by the number A0D150. What I'm up to now is that , I'm trying to update the bios and flash it so I can install windows off of a flash drive. The computer will not boot off of the usb even though I have it set to boot off of that in the bios, so I figured there's some sort of boot sector virus on it. Thing is,I can't get the bios to flash either.
Computer Specs

27-Oct-2010, 04:55 PM #14
So I presume that is the D150.
The first link seems to have had the most success.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/a...-recovery.html

http://www.theacerguy.com/forum/topi...screen-at-boot
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!