Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell 2400 grey screen on monitor.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Oct-2010, 10:14 PM #1
Exclamation Dell 2400 grey screen on monitor.
I have a dell 2400 computer.It has windows xp on it os 5.1 When I turn it on the xp logo comes on the screen like it is going to work then it goes blank on the monitor.The hard drive is still loading an then it stops after a while.I do not see anything on the screen it is blank with a grey color.I have turned it on a lot of times but it does the same thing.It acts like something has been turned off in the tower or something.It did work fine.It seemes like it has something to do with the part that lets you see the things on the monitor.Is there something that I could have turned off in the control unit.Need Help Bad.Thanks, BigTruck1989.
Computer Specs
Member with 597 posts.

30-Oct-2010, 02:24 AM #2
Have you tried going into Safe Mode? to see if it works?, if yes, do a system restore to a point where it was working properly.
If safe mode does not work any better: Check the Monitor cable to make sure it is properly secured.
Maybe check your video card to see if is secured.

If still no go, more experienced help will come along to help you further.
Good luck
Ray
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Oct-2010, 07:26 AM #3
Hook the monitor up to a different working PC to see if the monitor working properly.
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2010, 08:15 AM #4
I have done try that an the monitor works fine on my other computer.I member going into the display area an was looking for some things in there an I click on something that said,Do you want to quit using something on the computer an I click on it an then the computer started to shut down an when it started to load windows xp home edition the shows the xp logo an then after that the csreen goes blank with a greyist color on it,but the hard drive is still loadind,so it seems what I click on has to do with the picture.The icons does not up on it eather.Why does the xp logo come on an nothibg else does but the hard drive is still loading the software.What ever I click on has to do with the picture only.What inside the computer has to do with the picture.Thanks BigTruck1989.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

30-Oct-2010, 08:56 AM #5
Do you use the on-board video or did you add a video card to the PC?
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2010, 09:49 AM #6
The on-board video I think.I do not really know the difference.Sorry!I did not add anything to it when it happened.BigTruck1989.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

30-Oct-2010, 10:59 AM #7
When it's booting up hit F2 to enter the BIOS and check the video settings, they should be:

Primary Video Controller - Onboard
Onboard Video Buffer - 8 MB
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2010, 11:43 AM #8
Ok, I GOT THERE.bUT IT SAYS THE Primary Video Controller is on AUTO ,an the Onboard Video Buffer is 1MB.Thanks BigTruck1989.
Senior Member with 1,005 posts.

30-Oct-2010, 12:27 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTruck1989 View Post
Ok, I GOT THERE.bUT IT SAYS THE Primary Video Controller is on AUTO ,an the Onboard Video Buffer is 1MB.Thanks BigTruck1989.
That's what it's supposed to be. But from reading your previous post I suspect you may have disabled you display adapter in windows device manager. Have you tried booting into safe mode as RaytheBear suggested? Another thing you could try is booting to the built in admin account. If you can get in either way you may be able to roll back using system restore.
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2010, 01:41 PM #10
When I boot into safe mode a whole big list of writing of drivers listed looks like comes up on my screen,but there is no icons on the screen.It acts like whatever happen when I click did away with the icons,doesnt,s show system restore,just a big bunch of writing.The list are all in a role in HighTeck writing.Thanks BigTruck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!