Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Incredibly Jumping Character Indicator/Mouse

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 208 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Nov-2010, 10:43 PM #1
Incredibly Jumping Character Indicator/Mouse
I have a Dell Latitude D420 netbook computer, running Window XP Professional, which has been displaying some strange symptoms, that I’m not sure of, regarding their origin. When using the keyboard and typing input, the character bar, which indicates where you are currently typing, will seemingly randomly “jump” to a point on the screen that corresponds with the current location of the mouse cursor.

There doesn’t seem to be any huge “rhyme or reason” to how or why the character indicator jumps to the mouse cursor location – but you can imagine this can be maddening when your typing in one location, and then you look up and find out that you’re typing in a totally different location. The keyboard itself seems to be in fully working order, and I’ve taken the step of disabling the Touchpad and Touchpad buttons – although when an incident of “jumping” occurs, my fingers do not seem to have been anywhere near the Touchpad. Any theories or suggestions on what may be happening or any diagnostics I should try to eliminate or isolate the cause of this problem?

Last edited by CDobyns; 06-Nov-2010 at 10:14 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,870 posts.

06-Nov-2010, 03:19 AM #2
Does your laptop have a blue like button in the center of the keyboard ??

You need to disable that and then the cursor should stop jumping. I had the same problem, it is very annoying.

If you have the synaptics drivers installed, you can disable it there

hope this helps
Computer Specs
Member with 208 posts.

06-Nov-2010, 10:34 AM #3
Okay, thanks for the good input, but by way of clarification, this netbook does have a (blue) finger mouse in the center of the keyboard, but the problem does not seem to be as much the mouse cursor itself.

Let's recap briefly, as I'm typing this, the message interface displays a vertical character bar ( | ), to help you know where you're typing. My problem is not that the mouse cursor jumps, but that the character bar will jump to where ever the mouse cursor is currently located. So, disabling the mouse cursor does not seem to be the problem, since I use the finger mouse, I'm not sure I can (or want) to disable the finger mouse.

Any other suggestions, now that I've clarified this further?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 660 posts.

Experience: Theory of Relativity
06-Nov-2010, 06:03 PM #4
This happens to me when my wirelesss' keyboard batteries are low.
Computer Specs
Member with 208 posts.

06-Nov-2010, 08:30 PM #5
That's interesting and some good input also. Others may benefit from that information down-the-road, but unfortunately my keyboard is is manually powered by basic "finger-power" only. So, low battery power can't be the source of this problem in this case.

Other thinking on this problem?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 660 posts.

Experience: Theory of Relativity
06-Nov-2010, 08:47 PM #6
What is the mouses' left button is faulty, that could cause it, no?
Computer Specs
Member with 208 posts.

06-Nov-2010, 09:01 PM #7
Okay, more good feedback, and I'll assume this was meant to say, What if the mouses' left button is faulty . . .

I won't dismiss this as a possibility, but 1) when the "jumping" occurs, my hands/fingers are virtually nowhere near the mouse buttons and 2) even if the mouse button were somehow faulty, I'm not sure how an errant mouse button signal would cause the character indicator bar to jump - but I guess it's possible. That would mean there was some sort of errant signal being generated (randomly). So, if this were the problem, a fix might require swapping out the mouse buttons/switches?

I'll keep this one in the back of my mind, and I can think of another couple of ways to rule this out. Other ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,870 posts.

07-Nov-2010, 07:57 AM #8
Try it !

Ill bet you will find that disabling that center button will correct your problem
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
jumps, mouse

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!