Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer keeps looping.

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Nov-2010, 04:59 PM #1
Computer keeps looping.
Hi guys. Really hope someone can help. My computer, one day, all of a sudden restarted and now it keeps going in a loop. Now it won't even get to the Windows Logo screen. I turn my laptop on and just after the part where it says "press F2 to enter setup, I get a message saying "A disk read error occurred, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". When I do this, it shuts down and goes through this process over and over again. I can't even get into the hard drive to perform any fixes. HELP!!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Nov-2010, 04:44 AM #2
Hi luchy07
First of all WELCOME TO THE TECHGUY!

Do you have a bootable OS disk? If it is try reinstalling, as the first step of the solution. Then please come back and let us know what happened.

08-Nov-2010, 07:47 AM #3
Hi Sepala,

Firstly, thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately, no, I don't have a OS disk so that's a non-starter i'm afraid. I bought a magazine that had a cover disk saying it was a bootable disk for problems like mine. Again, this didn't seem to help.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

09-Nov-2010, 12:29 AM #4
First of all sorry for the late reply.

Then it can be a result of disk failure(HD is dying), or because of bad sectors. According to my knowledge this kind of thing can happen when the power supply is insufficient. Please have a look at this google search link, there are lots of answers to questions which are same as yours. Scroll down a bit and you will find questions posted in TechGuy also.

http://www.google.lk/#hl=en&source=h...bcc922f983c9e5

12-Nov-2010, 08:01 PM #5
No problem about the late reply.

I think you're right about the HD dying. I'll check out the link. Thanks for your help!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

13-Nov-2010, 06:54 AM #6
You are welcome...Make sure to check your power supply and hard disk.
Member with 33 posts.

13-Nov-2010, 02:55 PM #7
Are you able to press F2 and enter Setup? If so, I recall that you can change the setting (uncheck the box or change it from yes to no) that tells the OS to reboot after an error. This can cause an endless loop. I don't recall the exact location for this setting, but you will find it, if F2 works.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

13-Nov-2010, 04:56 PM #8
What OS do you have, I dont think you told us that info in your first post. Also, do you have HP, DELL, ect,...?

Try pressing F2 as soon as your system restarts, and do a complete system restore, I think that might be the only way your going to get your computer working again.

Also, if you can not locate your system restore disks, then log onto whatever site your computer is made from be it, HP or Dell, they will have available for you those same restore disks that you need but, It may cost you about 19 or 20 dollars if you are out of warranty. If you cant find them on the site then just give that company a call and talk to one of the techs, they will help you get what you need.

Hope this helps,
Sarathalina
"The cool mom tech"

Last edited by Sarathalina; 13-Nov-2010 at 05:06 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!