Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Device Driver Missing or Corrupted CD RW Drive

(!)

CichlidChic CichlidChic is offline CichlidChic has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Nov-2010, 04:38 PM #1
Exclamation Solved: Device Driver Missing or Corrupted CD RW Drive
My CD-RW Drive (formerly known as E) is not showing up in my computer. In the device manager there is a yellow triangle ! I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling only to get the error code 39: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. I've also tried updating it, but there isn't a better version offered and you can't force it to accept, that I know of.
This is a Sony CRX216E. I have went to both Sony and Dell for driver downloads, but Dell only offers a utility for it. Tried the utility and that didn't work. Sony doesn't offer a download for this particular model. It had Microsoft driver version 5.1.2535.0 running so I tried Microsoft help, downloads, and nothing. I came here to the forums looking for help, and then tried the Microsoft Fix it Tool, and that recognized the problem, but couldn't fix it. I also tried the magic CDGone, and fixcd.reg and still nothing has yet to work for me. I have done many restarts today with my fingers crossed!
Oh, I have went through all the devices looking for more yellow triangle! and nothing else has that, but now after all is said and done I have one in front of Microcode Update Device. Thank you for your time and thought on this
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 660 posts.

Experience: Theory of Relativity
16-Nov-2010, 08:22 PM #2
I've had this problem, which I was able to fix, but the problem came back after 3 months.

Try running "sfc /scannow" without the quotes, see if that does anything.

Otherwise, I would have you find out the .sys file associated with the driver, uninstall the driver, manually delete the file and then reinstall.
Computer Specs

16-Nov-2010, 11:55 PM #3
I ran the sfc /scannow and that just closed when it was done. No message stating anything, so everything must have checked out ok. Under the driver details there are three .sys files listed. From top to bottom: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys, and then storprop.dll. After uninstalling the driver, which one of the .sys files should I manually remove? and remove to recycle bin, or shift delete?
Thanks for your help!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 660 posts.

Experience: Theory of Relativity
17-Nov-2010, 01:20 AM #4
Instead of deleting cdrom.sys, move it ... say to the desktop.
Computer Specs

17-Nov-2010, 10:26 AM #5
I uninstalled the driver, then went to the C:\Windows\system32\drivers and moved that cdrom.sys to the desktop. I restarted and the wizard reinstalled the driver, and there it was cdrom.sys, right back in the same place I had moved it from.
I was just using this device the other day and poof no more. It still opens, closes, and spins the discs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Jen.
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2010, 10:23 AM #6
Wanted to give an update on this. I ended up moving all my important data to another hard drive that I use just for storage. Wiped out my main C drive and reinstalled Windows. I was able to access the cdrom drive in the black screen after changing my boot sequence. Both my cdrom and cdrw are working fine now. I'm so glad I did this, it's like new again, and no bugs to work out!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cd rw, corrupted, drivers, missing

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!