Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Toshiba laptop screen blank/black

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Dec-2010, 04:04 AM #1
Question Toshiba laptop screen blank/black
I have a Thosiba laptop which is about 4 years old. When i start it up, i can see the THOSHIBA writing but then the screen goes black. I even can go into select boot device if i press F12 or CMOS settings if i press F2. But even if i try to boot from a windows disc, the screen goes black but i can hear the laptop being on as all fans and cd rom spin.I have windows Xp on it. Im am really confused cause i can hear things on but the screen stays black. I have even used another monitor and it reacts the same way so i know the fault is with the laptop. Any ideas guys.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,005 posts.

01-Dec-2010, 07:12 AM #2
can you try safe mode
as the PC boots tap F8 - choose safe mode - see if the screen works then
Quote:
I have even used another monitor and it reacts the same way so i know the fault is with the laptop.
When you connected the external monitor - did you use the VGA connection - on laptops for that screen to work you usually need to use one of the F keys to toggle the display to use the external monitor

with a torch would you shine a light on the screen can you now see the windows display - if so then most likely the screen backlight has gone

02-Dec-2010, 02:09 AM #3
HI Etaf,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried to bring up the boot menu by pressing F8. The screen still remains black.

I conected the external monitor and used the 'Fn' key together with the other function keys and the external monitor also remains black.

Even shining a torch into the laptop screen, all i can see is black.

Is there any way to connect the laptop hard drive to an normal desktop pc and recover the contents from the lap top hard drive.

Regards
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,005 posts.

02-Dec-2010, 06:15 AM #4
Sounds like the graphic card has gone
This is unlikely to help -but i have used a few times on strange issues and its worked out 10% of the time
disconnect the power adapter - take out the battery - now hold the power switch for a full 60 seconds

Quote:
Is there any way to connect the laptop hard drive to an normal desktop pc and recover the contents from the lap top hard drive.
Yes
depending on the type of drive - if IDE or SATA
the simplest way is probably via a USB to IDE/SATA cable
This is NOT a recommendation for this product just an example
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-SATA-A...cp_computers_1
there are quite a few to choose from

to add the drive to the internals of a PC - you will probably need an adapter for the 2.5" Drive in the laptop anyway
for IDE something like this - NOT a recommendation for this product just an example
http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com...1284674&sr=1-2
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
02-Dec-2010, 07:08 AM #5
If you have anything plugged into the VGA port, unplug it.

Try pressing the Fn key and the display key (maybe F9 or F5) along the top row to switch from the external to internal displays.

03-Dec-2010, 02:41 AM #6
Hi Guys,

Tried all that, still no luck. Tell me, if the Vga is blown, howcome i can still see the Thoshiba start up screen and also get into and see the CMOS settings. I can even boot up from a linux disc but if i try to boot up from a windows disc, it comes up with the blank screen. If the laptop is switched off completely, the screen is black. If i swith the laptop on, the screen is not so much black but a dark grey. Its as if there is some light in the screen.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
03-Dec-2010, 05:13 AM #7
Do you mean that booting from a live CD gives you normal graphics?

You're right that the card being blown would generally not allow anything to appear, But it could be that only higher level or 32-bit functions of the card are lost. So it could be that the card is only partially dead.

03-Dec-2010, 06:43 AM #8
Hi,

No booting from a linux cd, i can see the writing but if i use a windows cd, i get the same black screen.

ahhh, that would explain why i can boot up with linux.

Guys thanks for all your help with this. I think it will be cheaper to get another laptop than to try and repair this.

Have a great weekend and take care my friends
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!