Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Avast AV taking too long to start

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Dec-2010, 11:20 PM #1
Avast AV taking too long to start
So I've had Avast AV free edition for years, and in the past it has pretty much initiated at bootup...no more than five minutes from the time I start my computer until the AV is up and running. That is until just a week or so ago. Since that time, it has been taking 20-30 minutes before it is fully up and running.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Dec-2010, 11:48 PM #2
I would have been concerned when it took 5 minutes...

Have you tried reinstalling the program? If no joy there, I suggest you uninstall Avast using their uninstall utility. It a free download here. Then you can do a clean install of the program. That may or may not fix the problem.

Having said that, I recommend you get rid of Avast (using the downloaded utility), then download MS Security Essentials. I'm no great fan of most anything Microsoft, but MSE is a pretty good program. Small footprint, updates daily (or how you set it) scans for virus and malware (again however you set it). Give it a look.

Raybro
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 07:27 AM #3
Okay, I'll give that a try. I think I have another clue as to what may be happening though. With Avast, after the virus definitions have been updated (which happens every time I turn on the computer), a pop up window appears confirming the update, and a voice is heard saying "Virus database has been updated". This stage is taking 5-6 times longer than it did before, so I think it has something to do with downloading the virus definitions. Why that would be taking so much longer is the mystery.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 08:52 AM #4
I haven't used Avast for a few years, but I believe you can either disable auto update or change how often it updates. As a troubleshooting measure, you might do one of those, reboot and see what effect it has.

Raybro
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 04:03 PM #5
I'll see if I can disable the update and then see what happens. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 08:25 AM #6
I couldn't find out how to disable the update, so I uninstalled the program then reinstalled it and it's still not working. It seems to be worse now, and instead of a yellow exclamation point in the Avast icon, I have a red circle with a white X in the icon. When I open the program and try to start the protection services, it says that they need to be started in order to protect my system, but clicking on the "fix" button, or any other button in the program does nothing. I tried to download the MS Security Essentials but that too didn't work. I'm going to make another attempt right now.
Member with 3,896 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 08:40 AM #7
avast
if you didn't use the avast tool to uninstall it ,that might be your problem. try using the tool ,restart ,download and install. if that fails to work ,switch to MSE ,it is a good free program.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Unin...ty__d5528.html

http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 08:56 AM #8
I got the MS Security Essentials up and running--and I found the uninstall utility at the Alwil website for removing Avast, so as soon as the MS finishes its scan, I'll go into safe mode and finish removing Avast.
Member with 3,896 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 10:27 AM #9
avast
i think you will like MSE. i had used AVG for years till they brought out the new 2011 ,which didn't like my comodo free firewall.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 10:54 AM #10
I, too, use the MSE, Comodo set up. They play well together.

Raybro
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 02:03 PM #11
My Comodo stopped working a few months ago after an update and I went with Zone Alarms.

So today I finally got rid of the Avast and have the MSE going, but I've been experiencing some crashing. I'm thinking the most recent one was because of the Microsoft updates reboot--but then again, in the middle of rebooting, I'm getting either the blue screen of death, or the black screen that says "boot failure, insert system disk". I've just been restarting and eventually get up and running, but that wasn't happening before, so maybe there are other issues like a conflict or something....
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 02:16 PM #12
Sounds to me like you have more going on than a simple software program problem.

I suggest you download HiJackThis (click the name), install it to its default location. Open the program and click the "Do a system Scan and save a log File" button. The log file will save on Notepad. Copy the entire log file content and paste it into a post here in this thread. It may take a while to get a response about the results as there are only a few TSG members authorized to analyze HJT log files.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING UNTIL YOU GET A RESPONSE !!!!

Raybro
Member with 3,896 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 03:12 PM #13
avast
i agree with raybo ,you have more problems then we knew of.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!