Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Change Language from Arabic to English

(!)

Member with 149 posts.

13-Dec-2010, 08:09 AM #1
Change Language from Arabic to English
Hi,

A friend of mine has Windows XP SP2. But its in arabic. Is there anyway to convert it into English. We tried going to Control Panel and Language Options but no English was available there.

Is reintsalling XP the only option? Thanx in advance
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Dec-2010, 09:20 AM #2
In Control Panel>Regional and Language>Regional Options tab, if you click the Customise button, a whole list of languages shows up and you need English United Kingdom. When you apply and OK that, move on to the next tab - Advanced - and set English UK as the main language and click to remove any others. When you click on Apply a warning will show saying it will do that on the next restart. Finally, in the third tab, change the unicode to English UK.

The system will need a restart and some Arabic might remain entrenched but it should mostly be showing in British English.
Member with 149 posts.

13-Dec-2010, 04:16 PM #3
Hi Saga,

I have already tried that before coming here. In the Regional Options Tab, next to Customise button, there is a drop down box which has lots of languages. But it doesnt have English. I checked the Advanced Tab too, there is no English in the drop-down menu.

The XP that is installed on this PC is Arabic.
Member with 96 posts.

Experience: Here to learn :)
13-Dec-2010, 04:23 PM #4
i don't know about arabic, but there are seperate install disc's for languages that are read differently (side to side - bottom to top.. however it may be) there are language packs you can download. I've only ever seen them from english to another language, but i can't imagine that they don't go both ways.
You could reinstall with an english version, but that's got a price tag with it.
Member with 149 posts.

13-Dec-2010, 04:35 PM #5
I know if XP is installed in English then you can download LIP for any language and then you can switch over to that language.

I just want the Context menus , start bar etc to be English. Can I do it without reinstalling XP english ?

14-Dec-2010, 02:30 AM #6

Like galoryber, I can't believe this isn't possible. When the installation was made in Arabic, did the CD packaging display that language? If you still have the CD, can you open it and look for language related folders?
Member with 149 posts.

14-Dec-2010, 07:35 AM #7
They cant find the Arabic XP CD. Will installing MUI in English help ?
Member with 96 posts.

Experience: Here to learn :)
14-Dec-2010, 11:36 AM #8
hmm, since you mentioned it's on SP2, I found one link suggesting that you can download SP3 in english. not sure how valid that is (i don't remember having to select a language for service packs), but I'd suggest updating to SP3 anyway.
Member with 149 posts.

14-Dec-2010, 03:13 PM #9
hi Galoryber,

I will try installing SP3. And then I will let you know. Can you give me that link that will let me download SP3 in English?

15-Dec-2010, 02:48 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunjikorans View Post
Can you give me that link that will let me download SP3 in English?
It's easy to find at http://www.microsoft.com and English (well, American anyway) will be the default language.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!