Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Netflix video lags behind audio.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Dec-2010, 12:34 AM #1
Netflix video lags behind audio.
Watching Netflix on my Pc. Video is choppy and lags behind audio. Netflix said I was using
too much CPU. I ran Task Manager and "iexplorer" was using 95 to 97 CPU.
Please advise on what to do. I have Windows XP with 512RAM (which Netflix said I needed)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1600+, x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 503 Mb
Graphics Card: Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia, 8 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 52152 MB, Free - 43344 MB; D: Total - 4110 MB, Free - 1466 MB; E: Total - 5071 MB, Free - 2154 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A7V-VE , REV 1.xx, xxxxxxxxxxx
Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,995 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Dec-2010, 10:12 AM #2
The problem you have is a very old computer with hardware specs that can't handle video.

The processor is slow.

There's not enough RAM.

The on-board graphics has a very small amount of video memory.

And you probably have too many programs auto-loading and running in the background.

------------------------------------------------

The ASUS A7V-VE motherboard supports a maximum of 1024 MB of RAM and uses PC133 modules.

Since your computer currently has 512 MB of RAM, it has either a 256 MB module in both slots or it has a 512 MB module in one slot and has an empty slot.

Whatever the setup is, you need to increase it to 1024 MB.

You also need to replace the on-board graphics with a video card that has 64 - 128 MB of video memory.

The problem you may run into though with installing a video card is that the power supply may be too weak to handle it.

-----------------------------------------------

Can you advise what the brand name, model name, and model number is of that computer?

-----------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 15-Dec-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Dec-2010, 12:23 AM #3
RAM, I had 256 amd replaced it with 512. Can I add the 256 in the vacant slot.? If I need 1024, do add another 512 in the vacant slot?
Video card? any recommendations?
also how to increase my "power" supply ?
My Computer is Hp pavillion 521n
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 660 posts.

Experience: Theory of Relativity
18-Dec-2010, 02:46 AM #4
Flavallee I apologize for interfering. 2 things. Minimize all other Windows while playing the video. To know how much RAM will be enough open task manager and look at the tab where it says pf usage and note the number and percentage. A pc usage above 50% usually makes me think you need more RAM.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,995 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Dec-2010, 06:10 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyconner View Post
RAM, I had 256 amd replaced it with 512. Can I add the 256 in the vacant slot.? If I need 1024, do add another 512 in the vacant slot?
Video card? any recommendations?
also how to increase my "power" supply ?
My Computer is Hp pavillion 521n
If you removed the 256 MB module and replaced it with a 512 MB module, install the 256 MB in the empty slot. That'll increase the amount to 768 MB.

You should've left both slots filled in the first place so your computer could benefit from 768 MB instead of 512 MB.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion 521n desktop which you should add and save to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed.

The hardware specifications section doesn't mention the brand and wattage of the power supply, so you'll need to look at its label to get that information. I'm guessing it's about 100 watts.

The mother board has 3 PCI slots and no AGP slot, so you'll need to settle for a PCI video card. You may be able to get away with one with 128 MB of video memory, but I can't guarantee that. One with 64 MB of video memory should be okay.

I don't know what you have installed and running in the background in that computer, but gfne brought out a good point.

The less your computer has running in the background, the more it'll have to play video.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!