Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer freezes while using Firefox

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Dec-2010, 02:09 PM #1
Solved: Computer freezes while using Firefox
I have been having a problem lately where I will be using Firefox looking at a web page (one site it happened on is https://thankyoucard.citi.com/compare/, when clicking the different + buttons to view details) and all of a sudden the browser will freeze. The cursor turns into a hand, I can still move the cursor around, but within 10 seconds my monitor goes black, says it's going to sleep, and my computer keeps running. My only solution is to manually reboot it (I don't like doing that). I'm not sure what is causing the problem or whether it is Firefox or Windows. I thought it was Firefox because that freezes but I can still move my cursor (which would lead me to believe Windows is still functioning), then my monitor goes to sleep (as if my computer is off). Maybe Firefox freezes and then my computer does the same shortly after which makes my monitor think the computer is effectively off and so the monitor goes to sleep?

I am running Windows XP SP3 and Firefox version 3.6.13. Any more information needed I'd be glad to provide, including an HTJ log if that would help. I appreciate any help.

UPDATE: I just tried the website I mentioned earlier, this time on Internet Explorer version 8.0.6001.18702, and I did not have the freezing problem. This leads me to believe that it is a Firefox specific problem. Also, my dad suggested that the AdBlockPlus add-on for Firefox might have something to do with it. I disabled ABP and encountered the same freezing issue regardless, so I don't believe ABP is a factor in this. I hope this new information helps.

Last edited by JC231; 15-Dec-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

15-Dec-2010, 07:02 PM #2
Dump Firefox
The problem is Firefox

Go to Tools, Addons, Plugins.

Disable Flash and the freezing will stop. Too bad, Firefox used to be a great Browser.
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2010, 10:58 PM #3
I followed the steps you listed above and it did not fix the problem. The same crash happens when I visit the website I mentioned earlier and click on the "Security and Protection Benefits" category +. The drop-down menu pops up and specifically when I click on that "Security and Protection Benefits" category + again, the browser freezes (cursor turns into a hand), then the computer freezes, followed by the monitor going to sleep and the computer remains running (but frozen). I have re-enabled Flash in Firefox, as disabling it rendered most of what I do online unusable.
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,807 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Dec-2010, 11:32 PM #4
Try running FF in Safe mode. That disables ALL of the pkugins. You can find it under Start/All Programs/Mozilla Firefox.

Raybro
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
15-Dec-2010, 11:34 PM #5
The next time you get a freeze, oipen the Task Manager and terminate plugin-container.exe. Does it unfreeze?
Computer Specs

16-Dec-2010, 12:09 AM #6
The freeze only happens in Firefox, not Internet Explorer. I'm running Windows XP. My wife's computer (on Vista) doesn't have the problem in Firefox. Didn't try it in Internet Explorer on her computer, as I didn't feel it was necessary. We're both running the same version (latest) of Firefox.

Running Firefox in safe mode didn't prevent the freeze on the citibank website.

I'll do the freeze again in a while and try performing the task manager steps, Elvandil. Only thing I'm worried about is I only have a few seconds to do that after Firefox freezes before the whole computer freezes, if I'll even be able to open the task manager at all. I'll let you know how it goes.
Member with 33 posts.

16-Dec-2010, 03:42 AM #7
You might try reinstalling Firefox. Just download the latest version (w/IE), and install it right over your existing FF, in the same location. Similar to a Repair for other programs. May help, and can't hurt.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,807 posts.

16-Dec-2010, 07:23 AM #8
Yep, reinstall would be the next logical step. same version or latest as you desire. Just download the executable and do a normal install. No need to uninstall the existing.

Raybro
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

16-Dec-2010, 07:28 AM #9
I had this on one particular secure site and added it as an exception to the pop-up blocker rules in Tools>Options>Content. Might be worth a try.

I agree about Firefox - it was such a good browser but then tried to do too much.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,807 posts.

16-Dec-2010, 11:35 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC231 View Post
if I'll even be able to open the task manager at all. I'll let you know how it goes.
Keyboard shortcut to Task manager... Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Getcha there quicker.

Raybro
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2010, 02:26 AM #11
Ok I haven't done a test to freeze my computer since last time. But the freeze occurred again tonight. I was using Firefox and was on YouTube and clicked on a "related video". The computer froze but I didn't remember to end the plugin-container.exe process. I rebooted and decided to try the Citibank site. I opened it in Internet Explorer (because that's where I had it bookmarked), just went to the site - didn't click on anything on the page - and it had 3 green blocks filled so far on the loading bar at the bottom of IE when I realized it had frozen, and unfortunately the instant I realized this, my monitor went to sleep and I knew it was too late to bring up the task manager - I'll try it whenever this happens again, if I remember to remember (getting old in my 20's). This tells me some things: It's not Firefox-exclusive, so I don't know if ending the plugin-container.exe process experiment will be useful, and it occurs on multiple Websites, so it is probably something specific with those websites, be it something they're running on like Flash, or some sort of coding they were created with - I don't know.

With this new information, do you have any ideas? I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening.

UPDATE:

Ok well I decided to check my disk for errors and found none. Then a bit later the whole thing froze up again and I used the task manager shortcut previously provided and the task manager did not come up (I did this while my cursor was still movable, so I assumed that the computer had not frozen yet, thus why I thought the task manager would still work). Monitor went to sleep, rebooted computer, and FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER regarding this particular problem, Windows XP told me that my system had just recovered from a serious error, blah blah blah. I wonder why it just now tells me this. Anyway, I took screenshots of the error signature (I have no idea if that could help you in anyway - I don't even know what it is - but I can post that picture if asked, assuming there's no sensitive information in it) and the error reporting Webpage that Windows XP took me to, here:

Now this page was interesting; it suggested that there is a problem with my video device driver and that it was what caused Windows to crash (I suppose it's not a browser problem then?). I followed the instructions but found no new device drivers for my video card (recently I did update the drivers for it - might that be the root of the problem? A problem from updating the driver?), so then I manually decreased the hardware acceleration for my video adapter per the instructions. I set the hardware acceleration to "None" and unchecked "Enable write combining" as it asked. I'm writing this just after having done all that so I can't comment on whether or not it's fixed my problem.

What should I do now?

2nd UPDATE:

Ok, moments after my last update, I have another. I went to the previously mentioned Citibank Website which was 100% reliable on my computer to cause my system to crash when performing specific actions detailed earlier. I used IE first. No crash this time after doing the things the Windows error reporting page told me to do. So I then tried it on Firefox. Performed the same actions on the same Website as in IE, and NO CRASH. I won't jump for joy just yet, but it looks like setting hardware acceleration on my video card to "None" and unchecking "Enable write combining" did the trick.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by JC231; 21-Dec-2010 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: Update
Computer Specs

05-Jan-2011, 04:56 AM #12
After changing those graphics settings, I discovered that I was no longer able to play games because the games couldn't detect a video device. Needless to say I went right back and changed the settings to how they were previously so I could play games. Well, this allowed me to play games, but also brought the freezing problem back. It's been happening non-stop since my last post. I just had my computer freeze when clicking on a post link on this website. I remembered having a feeling it was my video card, so I looked at the driver update and it said it was from October, which is when I updated the driver. I rolled back the driver to the previous one and did not get a freeze when visiting the Citibank website or the same post link on this website. Could a driver update be what caused my problem? And an older driver works better than the latest one? I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro video card if that helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,807 posts.

05-Jan-2011, 11:27 AM #13
I have found that with computers, as with many things in life... You do what works. Just keep using the machine with the old drivers and if it continues to work... Don't fix it.

Raybro
Computer Specs

05-Jan-2011, 06:24 PM #14
Thanks Raybro. This discovery doesn't help to instill confidence in technological advancements heh heh. But I'll mark this thread as solved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
firefox, freeze, monitor goes to sleep, windows

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!