Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP won't boot

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 202 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Dec-2010, 06:37 PM #1
XP won't boot
Machine: HP DV1000, XP Home, 32 bit, 2GB RAM

Error message upon failed boot: Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF78AE528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It also says to run chkdsk/f in the recovery console and then reboot, but I still get the same message.

Just before the first "C:\" in the recovery console it says "The path or file specified is not valid."

Entering "fixmbr" yields a naked "C:\" prompt.

Entering "fixboot" yields "FIXBOOT cannot find the system drive, or the drive specified is not valid."

I can get to the XP splash screen using the SGD boot disk, but it always goes to the blue screen with the same 07B error message that I list above on it.

Here's what I did just before I couldn't boot: In the disc manager in Windows, I deleted a logical partition which had a new installation of Ubuntu on it which was also failing on boot just after the "Ubuntu" splash screen. As soon as that partition was deleted, no partitions showed up in the interface. There was a message indicating I should restart disc manager, and, if that didn't work, to restart the computer.

I got the blue screen after rebooting by way of an attempt get back to my partitions in the disc manager.

Have I completely smoked my Windows installation? What else might I try to determine whether or not I need to rebuild my XP OS?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Computer Specs
Member with 202 posts.

15-Dec-2010, 06:57 PM #2
I meant to add that Spinrite says that my Windows partition is a bootable partition. Or so I suppose: my Windows partition is 50gb on my laptop, and Spinrite recognizes a single 50 gb bootable partition.
Dan Penny Dan Penny is offline Dan Penny has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 523 posts.

15-Dec-2010, 07:10 PM #3
See if this helps................

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103
Computer Specs
Member with 202 posts.

15-Dec-2010, 08:01 PM #4
Thanks Dan,
My assumption is that, as the help page you linked to says under "Other Issues," "The boot volume is corrupted and cannot be initiated by Windows XP." So I tried to "create a parallel installation of Windows XP on the drive (in a separate folder)."

So when I get to the setup and it says "The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer" it shows one "76317 mb disc 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi. (Setup cannot access this disc)" The drive is an 80 GB drive. My Windows partition was 50 gb.

When I use the arrow keys to "Select an item in this list," I get the following error: "STOP: 0x0000005, 0x8081A799, 0xF6FB0778, 0x00000000"

That happens as soon as I depress an arrow key.
Dan Penny Dan Penny is offline Dan Penny has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 523 posts.

16-Dec-2010, 02:13 PM #5
If you have an XP Installation CD (and Product Code), I would try a Repair Installation as outlined here; (Just below the first horizontal red line)

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!