Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Blue screen: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Dec-2010, 04:14 AM #1
Blue screen: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
I recently installed windows xp sp3 on my HP a1730n. After painstakingly finding all the necessary drivers I needed, I started putting my data back on my pc via a WD My Passport external Hard drive. Now I cant remember exactly when, but sometime after I plugged it in and started using it, my computer froze and gave me the following blue screen of death.
------------------------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
0XC05CF340, 0XC0000185, 0XB9E605CD, 0X5C8C6860

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable any new hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information.
*** STOP:0x0000007A (0xc05CF2D0, 0xC0000185, 0xB9E5AA35, 0x6F8F2860)

*** Ntfs.sys - Address B9E5AA35 base at B9E0D000, Datestamp 480256e5

Beginning dump of physical memory
------------------------------------------

Once this happens there is no turning back, a hard shut down or restart is required.
The only things that I installed on my computer before this happened was the chipset for my motherboard, the drivers for my video card, sound card, ethernet, and mouse and keyboard. Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, CPUID CPU-Z 1.56, and AVG 2011 free edition. Also tried installing a driver update for Lightscribe, but I could not get it to install properly.
After having some problems with AVG and figuring out how to finally get it off my computer, I switch over to Avast.
The blue screen error continued to haunt me during my quest to remove AVG, randomly deciding to pop up. It even happened once during restarting my computer. Then after I got Avast up and running smoothly, the real horror began.
Almost every single time I went to transfer something off the WD My Passport hard drive, it was blue screen city. However, I noticed that it didn't have a problem transferring a few files at a time. I was able to transfer entire folders of files, as long as I would only do them a few at a time. Throughout this process I would still sometimes randomly get a visit from my blue little friend, either because I tried copying too many files at a time, or for no reason at all. After realizing that this was going to take an insane amount of time to get all my data back on my pc, I started to put more effort into finding a fix. I couldnt find anyone that was dealing with my exact same problem on the net, so I tried thinking of a way to fix it myself. I figured that maybe because I wasn't following through with the new software wizard whenever I plugged in the hard drive, that this might be the cause of the problem. So I hooked my computer back up to the net and installed the software for it that windows automatically finds with the Wizard, then tried transferring a large folder...and it worked! Very happily, I declared my problem solved, because it never let me do this before. However...I was wrong. After awhile it started again, even happening a lot when I wasn't even doing any type of transfer, or even had the hard drive plugged in.

Some things to note are that even though everything points to this being some sort of malfunction with the way my pc is interacting with this portable hard drive, I really don't know if that's the case due to the fact that it doesn't only happen when I'm using the hard drive, and has in fact recently done it quite a bit even when its not plugged in. Also, the numbers I provided in the error message are not always the same, and sometimes the "*** Ntfs.sys - Address B9E5AA35 base at B9E0D000, Datestamp 480256e5" part isnt always there, in case that matters.

So after sitting here for hours trying to find a solution...I finally wrote down the exact error message and came to you guys. You are my last hope on this earth...please, help!
Member with 11,752 posts.

26-Dec-2010, 04:57 AM #2
Howdy,

take a look and see if any minidumps have been created

you will find them here They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Copy the last 3 and compress them zip or Rar and Go Advanced in your post then Manage Attachments and post them

Note Do not try to compress them until you have copied them to somewhere else.
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2010, 05:06 AM #3
Problem...minidump isnt there....is that bad?

26-Dec-2010, 05:09 AM #4
No...sometimes they do not get created

Where did you get the drivers for that PC?
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2010, 05:15 AM #5
I found a forum off a google search where someone was sharing links to the said drivers. All of the links were to legit websites so I knew that what I was getting was legit.

Would it be helpful if I tried to track down the exact place I found the links?

26-Dec-2010, 05:30 AM #6
Did you try HP Support site and click on Auto detect

http://welcome.hp.com/country/uk/en/support.html
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2010, 05:38 AM #7
Just tried it...says it didnt detect anything =/

26-Dec-2010, 05:44 AM #8
Is that PC all original or have you changed things in it?

I cannot seem to find anything on HP site for a1730n?
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2010, 05:45 AM #9
If by changed anything you mean on the insides of it, no. I have never installed new hardware on this computer its all original.

Yep...HP has no support for it....for XP
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2010, 05:51 AM #10
.....am I screwed?

26-Dec-2010, 06:02 AM #11
How much memory does the PC have in it and is it in one or more memory sticks...if so try taking one memory stick out and try then try with just the other one.

What did that PC have on it before and doid you get any discs with that HP?
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2010, 06:06 AM #12
its a 305234 MB hard drive with 1982 Mb of RAM.

And by sticks do you mean sticks of RAM? Or memory sticks that im using to get my data back on my computer? I think it has 2 sticks of RAM.

It came equipped with Windows Vista.... and zero recovery discs

26-Dec-2010, 06:12 AM #13
What happens if by tapping F10 on startup.....?
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2010, 06:19 AM #14
Nothing. It says press F10 for system recovery but nothing happens, even after repeated presses. I know that the key is not broken.

26-Dec-2010, 06:26 AM #15
How old is the Hard drive?

Try this click Start>>Run type cmd click Ok.

In the Command Prompt type chkdsk /r click Enter Note there is a space between chkdsk and /r

You will be asked if you want a check disk to run on next startup click Y and then press Enter

Restart your PC

It will run in 5 sections please do not interrupt it let it finish.

If Run command not there

Right click on an empty place on the bottom task bar and choose Properties then Start Menu tab.....then Customize button
.look down the list for Run Command and put a check beside it
Click OK

Now when you click the Start button you should have run in the menu
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!