Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Default.rdp file in My Docs Folder

(!)

piscespassion piscespassion is offline piscespassion has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 147 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Dec-2010, 02:17 PM #1
Default.rdp file in My Docs Folder
There is a Default.rdp file in my My Documents Folder, that when I open says Remote Desktop Connection. I'm pretty familiar with what this "is" and what it's "for"... but I'm not sure why it's in my Docs folder...?
Is that something someone specifically put there? Or would "attempting a connection at one point" have put it there?

Note: The following is kinda long so you don't "have to read", it's just an explanation of why I'm worried about this file:
* I was away from the country for about a month, and I have a brother who [sadly] is known for hacking into people's computers, and I understand he was in my home using my pc when I was away... so this is my concern more than anything.
I now have/use a laptop, so I'm clearing this pc for my son to use... I did find 10 trojans as well when I returned! And my pc was about to "crash", with the clock ticking and everything! My anti-virus protection was disabled and my spyware protection was deleted! Luckily, I managed to call my ISP who provides Norton and they walked me through cleaning and "saving" my pc, and it's worked fine since =)
But there's no doubt in my mind that it was tampered with by my brother, therefore right now that I'm clearing everything off of it, I'm wondering if this is something I can safely remove from My Docs?

Thx!!!!
Rosa~
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

29-Dec-2010, 02:28 PM #2
Yes, you can delete it. It indicates that someone ran Remote Desktop on the computer. Changes to default settings are saved in this file.

I wouldn't use the computer for any personal or secure operations until it has been completely formatted and reinstalled. If you configured your browser to save passwords, I would suggest changing all of them ASAP.

Don't allow your brother to use your computer again.
piscespassion piscespassion is offline piscespassion has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 147 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Dec-2010, 03:25 PM #3
Thank you so much... and yes [sadly] my brother has been officially banned from my home.
As for the reformatting and reinstallation, that does sound like a good idea... however, my son writes music and has recently uploaded all his recording software and tons of music on it, so if I would "lose all of that" then I don't think he'll like that very much...?
But thank you!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

29-Dec-2010, 03:26 PM #4
You would need to back up your data first, and you need to be doing that regardless. Having only one copy of important data is not good.

It's up to you whether or not you want to format and reinstall, but I wouldn't trust my personal information (passwords, bank accounts, passwords, etc.) on a computer that was known to be infected with anything and used for nefarious purposes. You're taking a risk.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!