Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't detect wireless printer

(!)

Member with 204 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 10:36 AM #1
Can't detect wireless printer
I recently got a Canon MX870 and have successfully added it to my network wirelessly. I can print fine from my Macbook Pro and my iPhone (via AirPrint Activator). I have set it up so that the printer can be shared.

For some work things I use VMWare fusion to run WinXP on my MBP. I've failed to be able to get WinXP to recognize the printer. When I run the included software it does not find the printer at all. The same thing happened when I tried to find it in OSX. Eventually someone recommended that I clear all printers from the OS and then add them back individually. Sure enough the printer was there and that worked perfectly. I've tried the "Add a printer" function in control panel - but XP doesn't find the printer so that I can add it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,990 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 11:03 AM #2
Did you try Add Hardware and follow the steps there in Control Panel? What does the Canon Quickstart say, does the printer have to b e turned on or not when installing?
Member with 204 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 11:37 AM #3
Thanks for helping. As I understand the Canon inst the printer must be on to be detected.

In the XP Control Panel - I don't have an Add Hardware tab or button - but under printers there is an option to Add a Printer. When adding a networked printer you can browse for one - which is what I've done without success.

You can also provide a URL to a networked printer. I'm not sure how to determine what my printers URL would be or if it even has one.

TL
Member with 204 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 12:38 PM #4
More data:

Poking around on the Mac I found a listing for the printers URL:
canonijnetwork://Canon/Canon%20MX870%20series%20_967C3FF07356?TYPE=_canon-bjnp1._tcp.

I tried this and this preceeded by http://

Neither worked - but hopefully I'm close. Would still appreciate any help.

Thanks

TL
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,990 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 02:35 PM #5
Whenever a printer cannot be added in Add Printer, I go to Control Panel and do an Add Hardware, see picture, second icon, then it scans for new hardware and asks, where to search for program to install. Then I go to the Canon folder and usually Windows finds it.
Since you say, it is wireless, sometimes you have to pause the firewall to install, I have Kaspersky and that one always doesn't like me to install anything so I have to exit it. (just an idea) but be off the net when you are not protected.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't detect wireless printer-addhardware.jpg  
Member with 204 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 05:12 PM #6
Thanks. I gave it a try. No luck.

I can't make it find the printer to select it. No matter how I have it search it won't find the printer to allow me to select it.

I turned off the Windows firewall and restarted. I don't know of anything else that should be in the way.

TL
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 05:37 PM #7
hiya ,not sure about your printer but in some printers in options there is a allow wireless connections or something similar,hope this helps
Member with 204 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 05:44 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie54 View Post
hiya ,not sure about your printer but in some printers in options there is a allow wireless connections or something similar,hope this helps
Thanks. I'm not sure if there's anything you need to do to the printer once it is connected to the network. There wasn't with the Mac or the phone. I'll check again. The printer is definitely on the network - I just can't get the computer to find it.

TL
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 06:16 PM #9
just a thought have you had any other firewall/antivirus programmes installed,if so and not completely removed leftover traces can cause havoc
Member with 204 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 06:45 PM #10
Because I use this only for work and don't routinely get on the internet with Windows I've never installed anything.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 07:59 PM #11
have you gone through this procedure,
1Install the printer to a networked Windows XP computer according to the printer manufacturer instructions.

2Click the "Start" button on the computer attached to the printer, then click "Control Panel."

3Click "Printers and Other Hardware," then click "Printers and Faxes."

4Right-click the icon for the printer to be shared, then click the "Sharing" tab.

5Click "Share this Printer" and then type a "Share Name" for the printer. The printer share name is the name networked users will see when accessing the printer.

6Click "Additional Drivers" if you plan to share the printer with a computer running an operating system other than Windows XP. Select the other operating systems needed and click "OK."

7Click "Close." Other networked computers now are able to install the printer and drivers by clicking "Add Printer," located under "Printer and Faxes," and following the "Add Network Printer" wizard.
Member with 204 posts.

09-Jan-2011, 08:38 PM #12
Not quite.

I only have one computer - a Mac. I run WinXP on the same machine with VMWare Fusion.

The Mac OS is connected. Through the Mac I have indicated that the printer is to be shared - and there is a listed name as well as a URL for the printer.

canonijnetwork://Canon/Canon%20MX870%20series%20_967C3FF07356?TYPE=_canon-bjnp1._tcp.

I tried this and this preceeded by http://

I don't have another machine I could connect too. I suppose I could remove the printer from the Mac OS and try WinXP first. Printing from the Mac is more important to me though.
Junior Member with 8 posts.

10-Jan-2011, 12:12 PM #13
I am having a similar problem. I have a brand new Canon PIXMA MX 340. I have installed all the supplied software and can print via USB cable. I have connected the printer to my wireless network. I can see the printer wirelessly by entering its IP address into my browser however I can not "add" the printer wirelessly. The Windows 7 printer utility searches for available network printers but does not find the MX340. I have tried adding it manually without success. Thanks for any help.
My computer is running W7 64 bit.
Junior Member with 8 posts.

10-Jan-2011, 12:19 PM #14
Solved it! Ran the Add Hardware utility (as suggested above ) followed by Troubleshoot. Windows 7 figured it all out.
Member with 204 posts.

10-Jan-2011, 08:31 PM #15
Here's the problem. When I run Add Hardware it searches and doesn't find anything. It asks if I've already connected this to my computer. If I say "no" we're done. If I say "yes" it gives me a list of things to choose from - none of which is the printer.

Magill - can I ask what your IP address was to the printer. Is it in the same format as the one I listed above or am I entering something incorrectly. I can't get mine to confirm that it finds the printer at all.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!