Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Saved Document Gone Missing

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Jan-2011, 01:21 PM #1
Saved Document Gone Missing
Hi,

I opened a document from my email (Microsoft Exchange) that I had worked on from home. However, I started this document at work and had it saved in its own folder. When I opened the document from my email, I continued working on it and saved throughout the process. Now, I can't seem to find the new, saved version of the document anywhere. Why is this? Is there somewhere I can look to see if it's there? I checked my temp folder (Start -> Run -> %temp%), and it wasn't there. Please help!

Erin
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,754 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jan-2011, 01:37 PM #2
Never save a document within the e-mail program. It'll be saved in a temporary folder.

Make sure to check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected system files" in Folder Options.

Copy the following (change your username accordingly):

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Paste it into the My Computer address bar and click OK.

You'll have to manually search inside each folder.

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
Computer Specs

19-Jan-2011, 02:12 PM #3
I went through all of the folders, but my document was not there. I realized that I forgot to mention that on my first "save" of the document today, I did click "save as" and saved it as I normally would. Do you have any more suggestions?
Computer Specs

19-Jan-2011, 02:21 PM #4
You don't remember where you "Saved As"? Where do you normally save your documents?
Computer Specs

19-Jan-2011, 02:24 PM #5
Try running a search on your computer with the Search Assistant.

Click Start > Search > For Files or Folders...
Senior Member with 619 posts.

Experience: Seen the elephant
19-Jan-2011, 02:25 PM #6
If you know the file extension type, you can do a full drive search for those (example = *.doc or *.txt) and modify the search parameters to look for any of that type that were modified after a date that seems appropriate.
Computer Specs

19-Jan-2011, 02:26 PM #7
I'm actually speaking for my boss. She said that she saved it in her folder for this document, but it's not there. She opened the email, then the attachment, did some revisions, and then clicked "save as" to her folder. She said she did some more editing after that and just clicked "save." She tried the Search > files or folders, but I will send her your last thread about the Full Drive Search.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
microsoft word, save, save as, temp folder

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!