Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't delete eula.rtf files

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Jan-2011, 02:21 PM #1
Angry Solved: Can't delete eula.rtf files
Hi,

I've seen this mentioned in several posts, but never seen an answer. I have a folder in my root directory called "df1e2e0e5f7295ecebccb3bdbb585b1a" which contains a dozen or so subfolders, each named with a four-digit number. In each subfolder is a file called "eula.rtf" (typically in some foreign language) and a file called "HotFixInstallerUI.dll".

I don't want these files, but am unable to delete them even with Administrator privileges. They aren't taking up much space, but it makes me mad that I can't delete them!

Any ideas?

--Dave aka Schmave
Senior Member with 619 posts.

Experience: Seen the elephant
21-Jan-2011, 02:33 PM #2
Hi Dave:

Try some of these ways that I have stored for the occasion:

Quote:
1.) Try it in Safe Mode first.

2.) If no joy, get MoveOnBoot . Install it. It's a small freeware program that has the power to Delete, Copy, or Rename a file or group of files when you reboot and it's inactive. There are several ways to use it, here are some examples:
Run it to do the copy first to the folder of your choice and then run it again to do a delete if you wish. OR run it and rename the file and you may be able to manipulate it as you please with drag/drop etc. Then you can rename it with the right click and you'll be set. Try different methods as you prefer depending on your goal. It works on Folders as well as files but only by using the drag/drop into the main program screen.

3.) If still no joy, try taking ownership of the file. To do that follow the instructions given here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

4.) If still no joy, create a new administrator account and log off your present account and log into it. Then try moving the file onto the desktop of this new account. Then log off and go back to your original account. That may get the file to an inactive state so you can manipulate it from the new location while logged to the old identity. If you just want to delete it, then delete the old account and all files that it contains.

5.) If you have a FAT32 file storage system, boot to a dos boot disk and you can use ordinary dos commands to manipulate the files or folders.

6.) If you have a NTFS file storage system, boot to the install CD and invoke the Recovery Console. Use the command line mode provided to delete the file.

7.) Go to the command prompt in the start menu and type CHKDSK /F.
The system will usually tell you that the action will take place on reboot.
Once the chkdsk is run, the file ACL (access control list) is reset and you should be able to change file / folder properties or delete the file / folder.
NOTE: Some viruses, and programs will relock the files by setting garbage in the ACL soon after booting, so be quick.

8.) Try using WhoLockMe (freeware) to determine what has the files or folder locked.

9.) Use BartPE CD or a unix Live CD to gain access to the system and delete files.

10. Use a Vista Repair boot CD (available for free download). It will allow command line to XP NTFS file systems and allow deleting files and running most other command line commands.

Note. I'll stop short of recommending that you use a 3rd party tool to convert your system from NTFS to FAT32 in order to be able to manipulate files from a dos prompt but it IS worth mentioning in passing for EXTREME cases.
Numbers 9 and 10 are my favorites. Good luck, post back your results please so others may be helped.

Last edited by surferdude2; 21-Jan-2011 at 02:39 PM..
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,342 posts.

21-Jan-2011, 02:40 PM #3
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

24-Jan-2011, 04:20 PM #4
Excellent! Thanks guys. I rebooted into safe mode--still couldn't delete. BUT I could move the whole directory to Administrator's desktop, whereupon I unceremoniously deleted it.

Thanks again!
Senior Member with 619 posts.

Experience: Seen the elephant
24-Jan-2011, 05:03 PM #5
Thanks for the update so others may be helped.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!