Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer won't recognize new 1GB RAM card

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-Jan-2011, 03:58 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Computer won't recognize new 1GB RAM card
Two Questions: 1. How can I get computer to recognize the new 1GB Ram card? 2. How can I see my System Info file to see if it showing the new RAM?

I have installed 1GB RAM on my computer because it was getting very slow – Compaq /Windows XP Pro 32bit – 760MB RAM Service Pack 3. I cannot get it to recognize the new installation nor does it act differently.

Also, I cannot get to my System Info from Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Info. It keeps saying “Microsoft Help and Support encountered a problem and has to close.” So I can't really see if the new card is actually installed right and working.

Thank you for any help you might give.
Member with 7,794 posts.

23-Jan-2011, 04:09 PM #2
Could you please supply more information. Like model of computer and details of what RAM you bought? You should be able to check in BIOS to see how much RAM is installed. More RAM will usually speed things but if the system is "getting slow" there may be another problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,626 posts.

23-Jan-2011, 05:08 PM #3
hi,if you go to control panel>system it will tell you in there
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,628 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jan-2011, 05:40 PM #4
What's the model name and model number of that Compaq computer?

Look at the sticker and advise what the product number is.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2011, 06:16 PM #5
First of all, thank you all for responding. After reading things on this web site, I probably need to change my experience to high end beginner. I really don’t know a lot about all of this. I don’t know how to find my BIOS.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1222NX computer. I installed a Corsair, 1GB Desktop Memory DDR1 – PC3200. I have run my Norton Internet Security scan over and over again. I have run Spybot, and then Norton Power Eraser. I also have run the free online virus scanner from ESET. From time to time I run Ad-Aware.

I am also having problems with my emails just occasionally not going out or coming in.

Because I was having problems, I have been looking on the web at others problems and I found and looked at my Event Viewer. There have been lots of errors/warnings listed for the last few months, but I have no idea what they mean even after looking on the web. I wanted to see if I could get more memory installed correctly before I started asking about the other problems.

Do you need anything else.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2011, 06:39 PM #6
Here is the support and software update site for the Compaq Presario SR1222NX desktop. You might want to add and save this site to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so it's readily available whenever you need to refer to it.

According to its products specifications section, its motherboard has 4 RAM slots and supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM and uses DDR PC3200 modules.

Since it came with a single 256 MB module installed, and you say it had 768 MB before you attempted to add a 1 GB module, I'm assuming that a 512 MB module was added after it was purchased.

When you install modules of different sizes and brands, you can run into an incompatibility problem or conflict. That's why it's advisable to install matching modules.

Here are the technical specifications for a 1 GB module.

Personally, I would install 4 matching 512 MB modules in it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 24-Jan-2011 at 06:45 PM..
Senior Member with 836 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jan-2011, 09:38 PM #7
Quote:
I have installed 1GB RAM on my computer because it was getting very slow – Compaq /Windows XP Pro 32bit – 760MB RAM Service Pack 3. I cannot get it to recognize the new installation nor does it act differently.
Did you install the new ram in addition to the old ram? If so, try taking the old ram out and installing only the new stick, see if it recognizes it now. Could be incompatible with whats in there now as mentioned above. If it wont run with only the new ram installed, it could be the wrong type. You can run the CRUCIAL MEMORY ADVISOR TOOL to see what is compatible in their line.
Senior Member with 619 posts.

Experience: Seen the elephant
24-Jan-2011, 10:59 PM #8
Remember, you can right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop or in Windows explorer and select "Properties" and it'll tell you how much RAM it considers as installed, minus whatever amount is being shared with the video card.
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2011, 03:37 PM #9
Flavallee, thank you for all the help and links. And thank the rest of you too, for other options. I will try what you have suggested and see what happens. It looks like I wasted my money on the 1GB stick.

I will mark this solved because it will be awhile before I can do all of this. But I will be back with more problems.

Thank you again.
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2011, 09:36 AM #10
You're welcome, and keep us posted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2011, 03:18 PM #11
I don't know if this is the right way to do this on your site since I have already closed this thread. But I am having more problems with this same issue.

I took out the 256MB stick and the 512MB stick and tried it with only the 1GB stick. When I plugged the computer in again it came on - fan running- but it wouldln't boot up. I didn't turn it on, it just started when I plugged it in. And there was a whine.

Then I tried only the 512MB stick. I came on whined but wouldn't boot up.

Then I put the 256MB stick back in alone. And it did the same thing except it didn't whine. I put the 512MB stick in and it did the same thing. It comes on when I plug it on, but it won't boot up. What have I done now?

26-Jan-2011, 05:28 PM #12
It`s possible that you disturbed some wires or connectors when you changed the ram. It`s also possible that the ram isn`t seated properly, on some boards it takes considerable pressure to make it seat and latch down properly. Make sure it is seated all the way down in the socket and the locking tabs on the ends are locked into the slots and all the way up against the ends. Go back in and double check all the connectors and wires in that area especially, and the rest of the computer. You could have put enough pressure on a wiring harness to disturb a connection located away from the ram. The whine may be a wire rubbing the CPU fan, the power supply harness and chassis fan wires run really close to it on some machines.
Was it a whine, or more like a continuous long beep?
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2011, 08:28 PM #13
It was more like a continuous long beep. I didn't know how to describe it. It is a long beep. Then it stops and then starts again.
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2011, 08:28 PM #14
I will go and check everything again. Thanks for your help.

26-Jan-2011, 10:29 PM #15
Without knowing exactly which BIOS you have, this is whats shown for COMPAQS at BIOS CENTRAL:
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/compaqbeep.htm

Homepage:
http://www.bioscentral.com/
It is most likely related to the memory, probably not being seated properly. Make sure that the key(slot) in the memory stick is properly aligned with the corresponding tang in the slot on the motherboard.(it is closer to one end than the other) It will only fit one way, but it`s possible to put it in upside down and get one end to latch.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!