Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Feb-2011, 03:31 PM #1
Question autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK
Please excuse in advance the long verbage....

Background: this is a WIn XP SP2 system, I built it, with a DP35DPM mother board, 2 physical SATA drives, and a DVD drive. hdd0 is partitioned as C: --(60GB) and D: --(240GB). hdd1 is E: --(320GB). D: and E: only contain data. C: has win xp and programs.

About 6 months ago, on rebooting my computer, it failed to get an IP address. My laptop and son's computer were able, however, to connect via the same ethernet jack. A friend suggested I run CleanUp! I did, rebooted and wala! Problem solved.... until the next reboot. This time CleanUp! made no difference. Same friend suggest Malware. Ran it, found a few things, quaranteened and deleted, reboot. Wala. Internet connection..... until next reboot. Of course, Malware made no difference this time. Friend ran out of ideas. I installed "RegistryDefense", ran it, made the suggested fixes (about 60 of them!), reboot, wala.

By now, I am getting the idea and trying to run my PC 24/7 to avoid reboots. This is about 1 months after the 1st occurrence of the problem. At this point, all my clicks on google searches are redirected to spam sites. This problem seemed to evolve as well. I live on a school campus and thye like to lose power every now and then to fix various things. So, I am forced to reboot. I need to run Registry Defense multiple times now to finally get a reboot that obtains an IP address and connects to the internet.

Over time, I read that this issue might be caused by either a bug in SP2 or a consequence of a virus removal that ruins Winsock. I obtain various VB script fixes and new .exe's that are not in my system32 for some reason. Next time I get the problem, I run through the fixes. No joy. I run Registry Defense, and again, I get lucky. Hmmm, maybe this did it.

Of course I'm wrong.
About a month ago, I try to upgrade to SP3. The install hangs on a file it says it cannot find though I see the file clearly there. The install aborts and restores my system. I run RegDefense a few times and I finally connect. However, now I have lots of problems with MS-Office.

I am forced to reboot 3 days ago while working on some reports. No IP address, no internet. I try the SP3 install again. Stalls on a different file that is obviously there!! It tries to restore the system. Reboot. ...

Then I get a blue screen with the Win XP logo at the top right and the error: autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK. And the system reboots automatically, only to return to the blue screen and reboot again, and again,... etc.

I surf the net for answers with my laptop. Nothing, except a suggestion for WIn XP recovery console. I find my dusty Win XP cd, boot from CD to the Console. I run "dir" and wait.... something is not right:
my C: drive is what was my F: drive!!!!! everything else is not there. I boot to the BIOS setup and indeed, both drives are still there. I am temped to run format or diskpart or mbr, but I figure it might ruin the data.

So, I think I will reinstall, but the Win XP CD wants to install into the new C: (my old F). Then I remember, when I built the system, I needed to create a special install CD for WIn XP. I used some freeware program, I don't recall the name ( xlite???). I had been getting help on the build on a DP35DPM mother board forum and I had learned lots of tricks---too bad they are all forgotten now!.

So, I dig up that custom CD. Now, when it comes to the partition screen, it sees my original C: drive!!!!! But, my old D: is now E: and my old F: is now D:. I look for a way to reassign letters or change whatever bogus boot record but cannot. I realize that the CD will install XP into my original C: drive. I go for it, since all my data is on the other partition (now called E).

The resinstall goes smoothly. As I check the drives under my new XP install, I realize the install is in C:\Windows.0 and I can see the old install in C:\Windows. In fact, everything is there from the old installation! All my new user accounts are in "username.0" versus "username". So, I've lost none of my data, even the stuff that was in the C: drive. Of course, now I have to go through and re-install my programs. I did try to reboot into the old installation, as I also realized on reboots, I have dual boot option: the new install or the old install (although both installs have the same exact name: "Windows XP"). However, the old install still goes back to thinking one of my data drives is the C: drive and gets stuck in the infinite reboot cycle.

The advantage of sticking with the new install is I now have all the XP updates via WIndows Update, including SP3. The system runs great. I will have to carefully remove the stuff in "Program Files" that pertains to the old install.

Any opinions out there from the gurus? SHould I try to go back to the old install with all my nice programs? Or should I just stick with my new installation and work to keep it clean?

Last note: I was able to install Thunderbird then move my mail files to the new location so that I can use Thunderbird as if nothing ever happened. If anyone needs advice on how to do that, I would be glad to help.

Cheers,
Raz
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,403 posts.

06-Feb-2011, 05:59 PM #2
I have read this three times.
It must be Sunday night syndrome but the thread title suggests that on boot this is the message
Quote:
autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK
That indicates that a chkdsk has been scheduled, and cannot run as the necessary entries to run it are missing.

There is little doubt that this is the result of the "RegistryDefense" program.
Have a look at this

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/registrydefense.com
I do not think I need to say anymore about that ACTUAL program.
In relation to registry cleaners in general see the link on my signature and be advised - please keep away from them.

Quote:
Any opinions out there from the gurus? SHould I try to go back to the old install with all my nice programs? Or should I just stick with my new installation and work to keep it clean?
If this is now your ONLY real question. If you go back to the old - why do you not think you will have all the problems you did have, even apart from those created by the registry cleaner.

My advice is to edit your boot.ini, so that you boot from ONLY the new installation.
Uninstall that unwanted and clearly dangerous so called registry defense.
CREATE a restore point.
DELETE all previous restore points.

When you have what you need uninstall/delete all from the old installation.

Quote:
xlite???
nlLite - I would suspect
http://www.nliteos.com/
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Feb-2011, 11:34 AM #3
thanks
Thank you for the reply.

Quote:
There is little doubt that this is the result of the "RegistryDefense" program.
Have a look at this

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/registrydefense.com
I do not think I need to say anymore about that ACTUAL program.
In relation to registry cleaners in general see the link on my signature and be advised - please keep away from them.
Wow. I had no idea that it could have been Registry Defense. I've read the link you suggested. Very enlightening. I will definitely avoid registry cleaning programs from now on.

I will take your advice and just go with the new installation. I've slowly begun extracting what I need from the old install and installing programs in the new installation. Everything is going well. I am taking the opportunity to stay away from MS Office and move to Open Office, although I might need the MS version of Excel at some point in the future.

cheers,
raz
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
autochk, reinstall windows xp, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!