Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to enter password on log in screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Feb-2011, 03:34 PM #1
Unable to enter password on log in screen
This is a problem I've never encountered in the past (and, believe me, I've encountered hundreds of them). When I turn on my desktop pc, everything is working fine until I come to the log in screen. My curser is an arrow, and it works fine, moves around the screen as it should, until I try to place it into the "type your password" area. At that point, the curser arrow turns into a hand, and it won't allow me to type my password, which means I'm unable to get on line.

I've tried everything I know how to try; unplugging the machine, rebooting, trying a different mouse, etc. Nothing works. Can someone advise me what to do in this situation?

Thanks for your help.
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

06-Feb-2011, 04:06 PM #2

Try Safe Mode from the Advanced Boot menu you see when you tap Function 8 before Windows starts to load.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Feb-2011, 04:30 PM #3
Are you referring to the Windows login screen? Does the mouse move? Are you able to click your username on the Welcome screen? Does the keyboard work? What happens if you press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to bring up the classic login screen? Can you click / type on that?
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

06-Feb-2011, 04:47 PM #4
Yes, the problem is on the Windows log in screen, and, yes, the mouse moves until I get to the "type your password" area, at which time the arrow turns to a hand, and won't allow me to input my password. Yes, I've tried Cntr/Alt/Del, but that doesn't work either. The keyboard does work, and so does the mouse, as I can move it around on the screen. However, when I get to the log-in area, the mouse changes into a hand and won't allow me to log in with my password.

I'm not sure how I could find the advanced boot menu in order to open in safe mode. Is all I have to do is click F8 while the desktop is booting?

06-Feb-2011, 05:08 PM #5
What doesn't work you press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice? Does it not respond to the keystrokes? Do you get an error? Do you not see the username and password prompt? You say both the keyboard and mouse work. How do you know? What exactly are you doing?
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

06-Feb-2011, 05:43 PM #6
Yes, I pressed CTRL/ALT/DES twice, and that didn't work. I don't get an error message. Yes, I see the user name and password prompt, but when I click on that area, the curser arrow turns into a hand, and, even though I'm typing, nothing happens. When I move the curser away from the username/password prompt, the hand turns into an arrow again. It appears that all is working, but when that arrow becomes a hand, I'm unable to type letters in that area. It's a brick wall!!
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

07-Feb-2011, 02:28 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybon View Post
I'm not sure how I could find the advanced boot menu in order to open in safe mode. Is all I have to do is click F8 while the desktop is booting?

Yes - it's as simple as that. Restart the computer and start tapping Function 8 straight away so the system gets your message before Windows can load. The menu will be quite a long one - go for Safe Mode with Networking in case you need to go online to download any malware scanning programmes. When you see a Welcome Screen, log in as Administrator - that account is less likely to have been affected as your own has been.

07-Feb-2011, 05:16 PM #8
You don't need to use the mouse at all so it doesn't matter what shape the pointer is. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice, type in your username, hit the tab key, and type in your password. Then press Enter.
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

07-Feb-2011, 05:44 PM #9
Miraculously, when I turned on the pc this afternoon, I was able to type in my password and open the desktop. However, on the desktop was a "System Configuration Utility" error screen stating,

"You have used the SystemConfiguration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts. The SCU is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes made using the SCU."

The bad news is I'm not able to click on the "OK" button to get to SCU because my mouse is frozen (my mouse arrow and an hourglass beside it).

I've done everything I could think of to fix this, but the mouse is still frozen. Now what do I do???

07-Feb-2011, 05:45 PM #10
Boot to Safe Mode and change the start up mode.
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

07-Feb-2011, 06:06 PM #11
I tried booting to Safe Mode yesterday, and again just now, and it just won't go into that mode. I've done this on other computers in the past with no problem. This is a new pc and I've never had to boot it into Safe Mode. It's just not going there. It looks as though I may have to get a repairman. Just can't figure this thing out. Now, after rebooting, again, I'm unable to type in my password, and, therefore, unable to open the pc. Frustrating!!!

07-Feb-2011, 06:16 PM #12
The laptop is only worth about $100. Unless you find someone to look at it for free, it's not worth trying to fix.
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

07-Feb-2011, 07:03 PM #13
It's not my laptop, it's a newer desktop giving me the problems.
Account Disabled with 496 posts.

07-Feb-2011, 11:09 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybon View Post
Miraculously, when I turned on the pc this afternoon, I was able to type in my password and open the desktop. However, on the desktop was a "System Configuration Utility" error screen stating,

"You have used the SystemConfiguration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts. The SCU is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes made using the SCU."

The bad news is I'm not able to click on the "OK" button to get to SCU because my mouse is frozen (my mouse arrow and an hourglass beside it).

I've done everything I could think of to fix this, but the mouse is still frozen. Now what do I do???
Other than the repairman, if you do get this far again in the start-up, don't turn it off or restart and get back to us. Only an uneducated guess, but something is starting/or trying to start that is locking down your computer, especially if it is giving you the SCU. Ya might have to wait 5-10 minutes, or an hour or two. Dunno, but if it gets that far, then let it sit for a spell and see what happens, not much else to lose I guess. If you should have anything of value ie banking, etc on the computer make sure it is not connected to the internet. If not too late, would like to see if you can get a handle on the computer and go from there.

Sometimes I use the drop/kick method with my computers, but less broken toe's and dented cases on my computers, my drop-kick method never worked.
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

11-Feb-2011, 05:29 PM #15
Sorry, I haven't had time to get to my emails for a few days, too many projects on my plate.

Thanks for your input. I've been turning the desktop on every day, but haven't been able to input my password again to get to the desktop. I leave it on for awhile, then turn off/restart, or shut down completely for awhile. I wish I knew why I was able to input my password that one time to get to the desktop. The one time it happened, I think if I had been able to get to that "OK" button immediately after it opened, I could have continued with the repair in the SCU. The key is to be able to enter my password and hope I get to that button before the cursor locks up again. If I am able to get to the desktop, I won't shut it down, as you suggested. Miracles do happen...

Oh, I understand the drop-kick urge. I'm the "queen of glitch". If it's going to go wrong, it willl .

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your ideas.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
curser, log in

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!