Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer Restarts on Boot up

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Feb-2011, 12:48 PM #1
Computer Restarts on Boot up
Hi,

Last night i was on my computer and it started to run very slowly as i began searching for a file. The Start bar at the bottom of the screen vanished as did all the programs on the desktop. I was able to use programs that were already open with the task manager. I turned the computer off and went to bed assuming it was nothing serious.

When i attempted to turn on the computer today i was given the Safe Mode Option Screen. Where you can choose from Start Windows Normally, Start safe mode (with or without networking) and Last Known Good Configuration.

When i choose start windows normally the computer restarts before the windows loading screen is reached. If i choose one of the other options the windows loading screen opens for a few seconds (and seems to be freezing) and then the blue screen pops up and the computer restarts.

As you can probably tell from my explination i dont know much about computers. I really hope that someone has a solution to this problem as i need my computer to do work due for Monday.

Thank you very much,
Jack.

ps - I am fairly sure this is some kind of virus but since i know nothing about them i have no idea what kind it could be.
pss- operating on windows xp and do not have a windows xp disk.
Computer Specs
Member with 387 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Feb-2011, 01:49 PM #2
Please give us as much information as you can regarding the blue screen of death. What does it say? Does it list any files? Would be best if you could take a picture.

SG01

11-Feb-2011, 01:54 PM #3
It pops up for such a short period of time that i cannot say much about it and i doubt i could take a picture of it. Sorry i forgot to mention that, the blue screen pops up for less then a second and then restarts. All i can say is that it seems to be about half a page of information although i realise that is very unhelpful =/

11-Feb-2011, 02:28 PM #4

Managed to get a crude picture after a few tries, hope it helps
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

11-Feb-2011, 03:02 PM #5
hiya,have you got the windows xp disc

11-Feb-2011, 04:18 PM #6
nope, mentioned that in the first post
Computer Specs
Member with 387 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Feb-2011, 04:29 AM #7
I suggest you get a Live Linux disc. Like Knoppix or Ubuntu. You can download Live Ubuntu form the official site, although it has 700MB. You burn it on a disc and boot from it when you start your PC. It will run Linux Ubuntu from the disc and you can back up your files with it on a disc or a Flash disk. Also, you can check if your hard drive is alive.

Download Here and then follow this information:

Quote:
Trial Ubuntu before you install it.

1. If you're using a CD: Put the Ubuntu CD into the CD/DVD-drive and restart the computer. You should see a welcome screen prompting you to choose your language and giving you the option to install Ubuntu or try it from the CD.
If you don't get this menu, read the booting From the CD guide for more information.

2. If you're using a USB drive: Most newer computers can boot from USB. You should see a welcome screen prompting you to choose your language and giving you the option to install Ubuntu or try it from the CD.

If your computer does not automatically do so, you might need to edit the BIOS settings. Restart your computer, and watch for a message telling you which key to press to enter the BIOS setup. It will usually be one of F1, F2, DEL, ESC or F10. Press this key while your computer is booting to edit your BIOS settings.

You need to edit the Boot Order. Depending on your computer, and how your USB key was formatted, you should see an entry for 'removable drive' or 'USB media'. Move this to the top of the list to force the computer to attempt to boot from USB before booting from the hard disk. Save your changes and continue.

3. Choose your preferred language and click on 'Try Ubuntu 10.10'

4. Your live CD desktop should appear. Have a look around!
Do not install it. Using it Live form the CD or USB will allow you to check things on your computer without interfering in your current OS installed on the Hard Drive.

Give us a note here if you manage to run Ubuntu form the CD.

SG01
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!