Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Printing Remote Downlevel Document on Windows XP

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Feb-2011, 10:43 AM #1
Printing Remote Downlevel Document on Windows XP
Hi,
Here's my problem:
I have a home wireless network with 2 desktop computers and 2 laptops using it. I connected a new HP Officejet 4500 wireless to this network (it's set on one of the desktop computers that has Windows XP).
I installed the drivers on all the computers and have no problem printing regular documents from any of them (using Office, browsers, notepad etc.), BUT -
I need to print documents from a certain old MS-DOS program. I set the network printer as LPT1 (using net use command), and I see the document is sent to the printer on the computer that the printer's connected to - but it appears there as Remote Downlevel Document, and doesn't print. It's on the printer's window, but then nothing happens and it disappears from there.
Anyone has any idea why? And what can I do in order to print the documents?
Thanks ahead!

13-Feb-2011, 11:12 AM #2
Just 2 more things:
1. I understood that there's some virus that can cause this problem, but no viruses were found on the computer
2. Before I bought the printer I did an experiment to print to a network computer set to LPT1 from the same MS-DOS program, using a laptop that has Windows 7, and it worked just fine.

14-Feb-2011, 12:07 PM #3
Question Anyone?
Any help\idea\suggestion would be greatly appreciated..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ms-dos, printer connection, windows xp, wireless printing

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!