Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

clock will not stay set

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Feb-2011, 11:05 PM #1
clock will not stay set
I've tried setting the clock by going into the control panel and setting it that way but it just will not stay set. Is there something I can try that might make it stay where I set it?
Thanks for any help,
Beth
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Feb-2011, 01:57 AM #2

Did you click on Apply and OK after you change dthe clock? Have you tried letting he clock synchronise with Windows or time.nist under the Internet Time tab? If you did both of those, your internal CMOS battery may have failed.

If this is a PC, you can easily find it when you open the case - it's a small flat disk on the motherboard and you need carefully to flip it out by pressing gently on the plastic clip, then take it to a shop to replace like with like. Before you open the case, remove the power cable and while working in there, try to keep one hand on a part of the bare metal of the casing.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 02:05 AM #3
Yeah I get this too. I would have to adjust date & time several times a day. System is synchronized w/ times.windows.com & is checked to "automatically synchronize w/ an internet time server". I have not replaced the cmos battery but I do think this may be the cause. Can anyone pls. confirm this or is it another spyware/trojan deal.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,122 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 02:21 AM #4
Laptops also have the CMOS battery about the size of a quarter. Refer to your manual as to location and how to access it. These batteries can be purchased in electronic departments of WalMarts, and many other stores...not very expensive, usually will last a long time.
Vicks
Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Feb-2011, 03:52 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by burjap52 View Post
I've tried setting the clock by going into the control panel and setting it that way but it just will not stay set. Is there something I can try that might make it stay where I set it?
Thanks for any help,
Beth
as mentioned by basic4u its a issue with the cmos battery
to elaborate a little bit
there aer pannels at the bottom of the laptop that u can unscrew after u unscrew them u'll see somethin like a coin cell battery
this battery is called as a cmos battery which stores all the info once this battery get week it will not be able to save the settings and as a result it will take ur date to factory date when this system was configured for that matter feb 1 2006 or whatever
so if u get it replaced that will resolve ur issue any other help required let us know
Member with 44 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 03:53 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanrickjones View Post
as mentioned by basic4u its a issue with the cmos battery
to elaborate a little bit
there aer pannels at the bottom of the laptop that u can unscrew after u unscrew them u'll see somethin like a coin cell battery
this battery is called as a cmos battery which stores all the info once this battery get week it will not be able to save the settings and as a result it will take ur date to factory date when this system was configured for that matter feb 1 2006 or whatever
so if u get it replaced that will resolve ur issue any other help required let us know
sorry not by basics4u but vicks apologize

15-Feb-2011, 05:54 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanrickjones View Post
sorry not by basics4u but vicks apologize

Did I forget to mention that?

Member with 44 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 06:00 AM #8
dam my mistake i just read it till this point
Did you click on Apply and OK after you change dthe clock? Have you tried letting he clock synchronise with Windows or time.

ok can u help me on my issues too no audio device is the name pls help if u can
Computer Specs
Member with 479 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 07:19 AM #9
I had the same issue the other day, what I done was took out the cmos battery then put it back. Turned out it seemed to be my BIOS settings were off so it was setting to it I suppose.
Member with 44 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 07:38 AM #10
Awesome
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 06:09 PM #11
Thanks guys for the help,yes I hit apply but that wasn't the problem. I'll check the battery and get back to you on if that fixes it. Again, thanks so much for the help!
Beth
Computer Specs
Member with 5,122 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 07:34 PM #12
Hanrickjones,
I have seen laptops that you have to remove the ram then undo the solder to remove the cmos battery.

Burjap52,
I just realized that none of us have mentioned to you, to unplug from the a/c power and remove the battery before you start to disassemble the laptop.
Good Luck
Vicks
Computer Specs
Member with 479 posts.

16-Feb-2011, 06:38 AM #13
actually, it seems that mine didnt stay set like it was suppose to. Those are probably solder tail 2032 an they come in a varity. I would have a tech shop do it. As for me not sure whats wrong with it.

16-Feb-2011, 07:09 AM #14

If a laptop doesn't have a hatch you can inscrew and easily find the CMOS battery, I recommend you don't touch it. Soldering a unit on to a laptop motherboard is difficult enough but it isn't as hard as melting the solder to get an old part off. You can melt the plastic or some other essential solder quite easily unless you're skilled with the iron, have good eyesight and a very steady hand.

Try altering the time in BIOS first and see if that helps make the change stick.
Computer Specs
Member with 479 posts.

16-Feb-2011, 07:32 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
If a laptop doesn't have a hatch you can inscrew and easily find the CMOS battery, I recommend you don't touch it. Soldering a unit on to a laptop motherboard is difficult enough but it isn't as hard as melting the solder to get an old part off. You can melt the plastic or some other essential solder quite easily unless you're skilled with the iron, have good eyesight and a very steady hand.

Try altering the time in BIOS first and see if that helps make the change stick.
or an iron at all. Like I said I dont recommend doing it if that is the case.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!